Parallels

Reaction score
OK, I've been on a macbook pro for a few months. I am about to buy an iMac and just installed Parallels on my MBP.

I know this will sound stupid... and more than likely (although I can't seem to find it) has been asked before; once Parallels is installed, how do you install other windows programs?

I'm trying to install Office 2007 (main reason I bought Parallels) and would like to install Norton, Web Expression, Photoshop Elements and a few others that I used all the time.

I can't seem to find a way to do it? Am I just mentally deficient? LOL

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Reaction score
Hi...

Parallels lets you install Windows XP or Vista so that it runs in your OS X. In other words, Parallels doesn't let you run Office on your Mac, Parallels lets you run Windows XP or Vista on your Mac, and then you run Office from within Windows.

parallels.jpg

Here's a picture of what it looks like. You see Windows has a start button and everything. Click start, programs, notepad, and you'll see notepad running inside the Windows 'window'.

So, you need to purchase Windows XP or Vista and install it from inside Parallels.

In the end you'll open Parallels, start Windows XP or Vista, and then open Office, etc.

The Windows XP or Vista are what's called a virtual machine. Parallels is what allows you to have a virtual Windows XP or Vista, but you need a fully licensed and installed Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I assume you have Windows installed on Parallels? If not, you need to do so.

Have you used Windows before? Let me know how stuck you are so I know how much detail to go into.

Reaction score
By the way, there's a Mac version of Office and Photoshop Elements so you don't need Parallels just for them. (I don't know if Elements runs natively on Intel Macs yet or if it, like Office, run in emulation).

OP
mac880104
Reaction score
Never mind, I was trying to install off of a external HD... it was a cable issue nothing to do with parallels. Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.