Wireless Mouse or not?

J

JRJ26

Well, I'm going to buy my new 12" PowerBook G4 tomorrow! My first Mac! I'm also deciding whether or not to get a wireless mouse, or just the regular optical mouse. Which do you think would be better? Is it really worth the $30 difference? Is the cord for the standard optical mouse long enough for the PB? What would be the benefit of getting a wireless one? I really don't expect to be using my PB from across the room, as I won't be able to see the screen, lol. So, what do you think I should get? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
IMO the wireless mouse on a Powerbook is kinda just another way to burn up batteries

OP
N

nicholas

Wireless or bluetooth keyboards and mice are in my opinion completely extraneous and more for vanity than anything else. Sure, it looks cool without the thin little black cord running from your mouse to your computer, but with all the batteries you'll be eating up using that thing daily, you'll end up cursing yourself for ever thinking "looks" were more important than "substance."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
i did think about getting a wireless mouse but i opted to get a mini optical mouse with an extractable cable that cost me £5 from ebay with postage as opposed to £60 for the apple wireless mouse, a huge price difference there.

OP
J

JRJ26

thanks everyone. Yeah, I've decided to get the standard optical. It just doesn't make sense yet for the wireless. Also, it might get lost in the clutter that'll become my dorm room, lol!

OP
P

PowerbookG417

i wouldnt say the same..i have the bluetooth keyboard and mouse...just bought them..been using it now for about 3 months havent changed the batteries once and im allways a goof and forget to turn it off...so no worries about battery life cuase its good
being able to lay in bed and control the dvd player on the tv screen is nice..and coming home puttin my powerbook in its home the mouse and keyboard automatically connect and are ready to use..no fuse no mess...

if you get the powerbook..why have the cords...the whole point of a laptop is to be as wireless as you can...plus they just fill up extra usb ports

GO WIFI

OP
C

cakman2

Get the wireless. I have both. My desk is still a mess with all the cords iPod, external drive, printer, iChat, etc., so why have more? I wish all of those devoces were bluetooth enabled. I have never changed my keyboard batteries in 6 months and only changed the mouse once. They work well. Also, the bluetooth monitors the power in the devices so you can always see how much you have left. BTW- I never turn mine off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
bluetooth mouse lags alot! but if your not using photoshop it's not so bad.

OP
K

knapster

I have a mouse with a cord. The cord is annoying. I regret not saving the cash and going wireless.

The wireless mice fit with the convenience of PBs

I think the current issue of macuser reviews wireless/laptop mice. Might be worth a look.

OP
M

MickMAC

go wireless... you won't regret it!

anyway isn't that the point of owning a laptop..

OP
P

prozach1576

I have a Logitech MX900. It is seriously the best Powerbook related purchase I have made. Worth every penny. I'm considering buying the Apple wireless keyboard, but I'm not sure I need it.

OP
R

Rusyn

I have the BT-500, a nice white one with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel. Bluetooth rules.

OP
I

IndianPowerbook

I have the wireless apple mouse. very nice touch if ur making ur powerbook a stationary set up (in a dorm room). it looks nice

OP
N

nicholas

Do you guys even bother to read the entire thread, or do you just chime in with your 2 cents without even REALIZING the man who asked the question has already decided to go with a standard optical mouse?

OP
M

MickMAC

Does that mean that he will never change his mind! or other members will never read this thread!

Perhaps you should save your "2 cents" for for a more construstive Post!

OP
N

nicholas

He already said he decided on the standard optical mouse, since wireless doesn't make sense. So it seems he won't be changing his mind anytime soon. And pretty much all the pros and cons were stated before he made his decision. A hundred more people chiming in by saying "get this" or "get that" isn't going to make this thread any more informative. But, judging from your complete lack of grammatical syntax, you probably didn't understand that.

EDIT: you know what? I realized I'm being a jerk. sorry.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.