Saving a .pages document as .doc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Is there a way to do this? I can't be bothered with Office for Mac anymore, it's too slow. I now have iWork 08 and I'm wondering... can I save a .pages document as a .doc? If not, is there a reason? I can open .doc documents fine in it... but will it save? When I change the extension when saving it says the required extension is .pages - this seems very stupid to me. I need to use .doc files so they're compatible with all the many millions of unenlightened Windows users!

If there is a way, can I set it to save as .doc default? And also, how do I make the default program to open all .docs Pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2ghz, 1gb RAM, 80gb HD
Export...

Choose export under the file menu. You can save to a .doc file there.

Reaction score
just to verify, Pages can open Word documents (thats .doc) perfectly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Opening Word Files

just to verify, Pages can open Word documents (thats .doc) perfectly?

The files I have tried have worked, yes. Even revision tracking worked correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
A similar question. Can it open appleworks documents fine? (.cwk)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Appleworks

The documentation says it does, but I don't have Appleworks, so I can't test it. You can download the demo and test it for yourself if you like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

In my testing, it's pretty good at maintaining the formatting of AppleWorks word processing files.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more question to do with pages... I want to have buttons in the format bar that align the text left/right/center. I cant find an option to do this. I don't want to have to go Format > Text > Align Right every time I need to change something...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I could never figure out how to do that in Pages 06, even though I searched everywhere. However, the new version that comes in iWork 08 has the toolbar on top. Could be that the option is simply not available in Pages 06

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could never figure out how to do that in Pages 06, even though I searched everywhere. However, the new version that comes in iWork 08 has the toolbar on top. Could be that the option is simply not available in Pages 06

The only 2 places I can find that option in 06 is the Format drop down and the text tab on the inspector. I can find no way to put that in the tools. Like you said 08 has that toolbar with all that.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only 2 places I can find that option in 06 is the Format drop down and the text tab on the inspector. I can find no way to put that in the tools. Like you said 08 has that toolbar with all that.

Aha! Text tab on the Inspector... got it. Thanks. I also found that if I widened the window I can see more tools on the toolbar, and they were there. All good now =) I'll probably end up using the keyboard shortcuts anyway ^_^

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.