unable to log onto mac from vista

Reaction score
I tried to do the conventional IP address //xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx command to log onto the my MB, I get the UN and PW prompt but no matter what I do I just can't log onto my mac. Does anyone know what I need to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Ah, I had this problem a little while back.

This worked for me:

In regedit:
Navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlS et\Control\Lsa
In the right pane, right-click the "LmCompatibilityLevel" key and select "modify"
Change the value from 3 to 1

I now click on Start>Run and type \\NameOfMacBook and press ENTER this allows me to browse my MacBook just as I used to be able to do with Win XP.

Originally posted in this thread.

Hope it works for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On your Vista system try this. Worked for me.

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager" authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2 response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

Opps RNDave beat me to it. The registry way works also but I found this easier to do.

Reaction score
or you could also download VMWARE fusion for the mac and run Vista as a virtual machine on your mac

OP
D
Reaction score
or you could also download VMWARE fusion for the mac and run Vista as a virtual machine on your mac

This would not have anything to do with my situation. Not even networking related. :Smirk:

Travis, I found that solution online yesterday before I made this post, still no good.

Dave, I believe your way is similar to travis but the regedit way right? Cause mine was already set to 1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.