Networked hard drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Looking to buy an external hard drive and network it if this is possible. My set up is:

Macbook 80GB hard drive running Tiger
iMac G5 250GB hard drive running Panther
Wireless network via a Netgear DG384D router/modem
Airport Express Base Station connected into the TV/Surround sound unit used for streaming iTunes

Ideally the hard drive would sit somewhere on the network (plugged into the Express or the router) and be acessible to anything on the network.

I know about the Airport Extreme with the USB connection for a hard drive but don't particularly want to blow £120 on one when my router works fine as it is.

Anyone done this and got any recommendations for setup or hard drives? Looking for something with 250GB+ storage that's also portable enough to take on the road

Thanks in advance for any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.