Mac OS9 problem

Reaction score
Hi,

i was wondering if anybody knows how i can install Mac OS9 onto my powermac G4 Quicksilver with out deleting Mac OSX Tiger. i have tiger on my mac but i am buying a new processor for my mac and to install the processor i have to run an application in mac os9 however i accidently deleted mac os9 when i installed tiger. is there a way i can reinstall mac os9 with out deleting my mac osx and without deleting all of my files?

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm sorry I can't help you. Hopefully someone else will be able. I'm just curious why you would want to do that. OS9 is something like ten years old?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Reaction score
You can install and run OS 9 on the OS X partition or drive, but it isn't recommended because you wouldn't be able to fix 9 with any third-party app, such as Norton Disk Doctor or Disk Warrior.

Any third-party System 9 repair app would destroy the OS X installation.

Reaction score
You could partition the drive, and put 9 on the other partition so you could run the necessary repair apps. But that means nuking your OS X install and all your files. You'd have to do a backup, first.

OP
F
Reaction score
sorted thanks

i think i might just do that. ive got a nice 1tb harddisk so ill back it all up and reinstall everything.
thanks for the advice.:Cool:

Reaction score
If the disk has enough room, you could slice it into three partitions, with OS X on one, and 9 in each of the other two.

One of the System 9 installs could be small and rock-bottom basic but also contain a repair app or two, such as Norton Utilities and Disk Warrior. It's a heckuva lot easier keeping the main 9 partition running properly and defragged when it can be maintained and repaired from the other partition, rather than from a bootable DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You could partition the drive, and put 9 on the other partition so you could run the necessary repair apps. But that means nuking your OS X install and all your files. You'd have to do a backup, first.

Yes you can but then if I remember corectly either classic or natively booting into OS 9 just wouldn't work. Everything worked when I installed it onto the same partition as OS X. I can't remember which but I know one happened. Even if you wanted to you could install it on another machine and copy all the files over into a folder in your OS X partition. But it should be in the front of the hard drive. As in when you just open up that partition by double clicking it it should be there. And it worked for me.

Reaction score
Yes you can but then if I remember corectly either classic or natively booting into OS 9 just wouldn't work. Everything worked when I installed it onto the same partition as OS X.
My G4 is set up as described above. I can boot either 9 partition or X, and Classic works, as well.

I still use QuarkXpress 4.1, but it can't redraw the screen properly without window-shading the page when running through Classic, so I boot into 9 to use it. I occasionally use Classic to run Photoshop 7, which runs in both OSes, and a Photoshop wannabe, Enhance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.