Cannot mount CDs in OS X

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a G4/733 running OS 10.3.9.

I tried to upgrade to OS 10.4, but unfortunately my MacAlly keyboard with programmable features does not support this version of OS X, and the volume controls and CD drive tray controls from the keyboard stopped working. That's not really a problem because there are other ways to achieve these operations.

After backing up my important data on a server and CDs (I only have a CD drive), I downgraded back to 10.3.9 using the Archive & Install option, knowing that certain issues could arise (which is why I backed up my data). The worst that could happen, I thought, was that I would have to reinstall OS completely by wiping my hard drive (which was not a problem, I just wanted to save some time and see if the other way could work).

Problem is, after downgrading and restarting the computer, OS X won't mount CDs anymore, and my Mac will not even boot from the Install CD. As soon as I put a CD in the drive, the computer spits it back out 15 seconds later, and starts the OS. Also, at startup, the CD drive door opens automatically, and if I close it, it opens again 15 seconds later...

So basically, I can't reinstall OS at all!!!!

Here's what I did up to now:
-I checked the Finder options to make sure that mounted CDs are to appear on the desktop when mounted.
-I downloaded Onyx to try and remove installation files in the system cache that could corrupt the system. Didn't work.
-I also used Onyx to use the system profiler (which doesn't work anymore in OS), and my CD drive was listed in the hardware list. A bit of good news.
-I emptied the PRAM. Didn't work either.

I really doubt that it's a hardware issue, since my CD drive worked wonders before the downgrade, and is recognized by the system. It just wount mount CDs. The only thing I need to do is format my hard drive and reinstall OS 10.3.9.

Any hints?
Thanks!

Gys

Reaction score
are you dual booting with windows xp? cause i had that problem too. right now my mac is with a computer technician

OP
G
Reaction score
Nope, I am not dual booting with XP. Single boot on a good old pre-Intel machine :p. Thanks for your reply.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, gig1975.

If you still have the Apple keyboard - the one that came with your Power Mac G4 - lying around, try connecting it instead of the MacAlly (it is third-party and I can't boot from CD with the IceKey on my old G4 iMac either), the install should work. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.