Invalid Node Structure

D

dat

Hi,
I'm trying to repair an imac and getting no-where fast!
The mac wouldnt boot up, just showed the apple logo and timer, so I booted from CD (Mac OSX 10.2) and ran the disk utility.
That came up with Invalid Node Structure and wouldnt repair using the repair function.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

DAT :eek:

OP
L

louisa

did it freeze while trying to repair or something?

try doing Software Install and Restore.

OP
D

dat

louisa said:
did it freeze while trying to repair or something?

try doing Software Install and Restore.

No. It went through
checking HFS plus volume
Checking Extents
Checking catalog
invalid node structure
Rebuilding catalog B-tree
Repair completed.

I then thought I'd better verify the disk again to make sure and invalid node structure was still there.

If I reinstall, will I lose work files?

Thanks

DAT

OP
L

louisa

if you reinstall, the computer will be exactly the way it was when you bought meaning, if you didn't back up your work files, yes, they will be lost.

however, you could always just take it into an Apple store and get it fixed.

Where did you buy the computer and when?

OP
D

dat

Just out of warranty! Just my luck! I'm sure everything has a built in timer!

Can they ghost the hard drive b4 re-installing? I've heard something about connecting through firewire to another mac?
Does invalid node structure suggest a knackered hard drive? or just an error on the OS?

OP
L

louisa

I don't really know *what* a node is exactly. you may be able to get your hard drive onto a disk before reinstalling, but I'm not sure. what version of the OS do you have? because you may have iDisk on it, which means your hard drive might be safe after all. :cool:

OP
L

louisa

i don't think your computer has iDisk. :(

If it does, have you used it before to do anything with your hard drive? Have you ever backed up files onto CD?

If you haven't done any of those things, i would strongly recommend that you take it into an Apple Store(not just any computer store, like CompUSA or anything, but an actual Apple Store-tis the best) and get it repaired. Since your warranty's run out, and if you haven't purchased AppleCare, then you'll have to pay for the repairs.

OP
D

dat

Oh Mea frustra!

That was the last resort, but I think I've reached it now!

Thanks again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.