Switching PC -> Mac; shortcuts = efficiency benefits!

Reaction score
One of the greatest hurdles switching to Mac is: the ability to maximize the efficiency of your new computer. For a new switcher such as myself which is use to the windows shortcuts, this can be quite challenging.

Example 1:
I was in a lecture today and I saw one of the students using a Mac. He was able to switch applications easily using the F9/F10 function, and WITHOUT moving his hand!

I know this may seem like a really fussy question but im truely lazy and every second/millimetre counts. Is there a way to activate the F9/F10 function without pressing those keys that are so far away? (if there is a faster way i want to know about it lol)

*I've read the shortcut keys thread and I don't think these sorts of shortcuts are listed on there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I have the Mighty Mouse side buttons set to do the F9/F10 thing (which is called Expose, btw)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb
u can do that with activating the active corners from the preferences menu.
Go to expose and u'll find out what im talking about.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip cheez, helped a lot. I changed the Expose keys into fn, ctrl and option which is great because it's easy to reach. The only problem is it disables my other shortcuts like: (fn up/down to scroll the window)

Maybe i'll try using the left/right "shift" keys instead, I don't think that'll conflict with anything.

Since i'll be using my MacBook on the go, I don't have the luxury of using a mouse. Another newbie question, how do you "right-click" without the mouse?

I know it's possible because I plugged in my USB mouse and tried it lol.

OP
V
Reaction score
ok the only problem with using the shift key for expose is that i find it hard to use caps and symbols that require the shift key.

sorry about this but i'm a fresh newb and i have nowhere else to go with all of my questions :[

another thing is this, is there any shortcut keys for maximizing the window aka zoom

Picture 3.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
to right click without a mouse...just two finger tap. i am pretty sure thats how it works.just take both fingers and tap em on the pad. macs have multi touch in their touch pads i'm pretty sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I personally think that hot corners are the awesomest way to invoke Exposé, and Exposé is one of the most useful features of the UI on MacOS. I am constantly trying to invoke it when I'm on non-Mac machines at work.

Also, I have a mighty mouse, and Exposé All Windows is but a (slightly hard, but my right hand has gotten use to it) squeeze away.

My favorite key short cuts - Command-Q and Command-H to quit/hide things. Like when I need to go into Activity Monitor to kill off that process that makes iChat no longer make sounds. Invoke, find process, quit process, Command-Q to make it go away. Viewing a 'questionable' graphic in Preview? Command-H is like a "boss key". O:)

OP
V
Reaction score
It's not as easy on a touchpad though.

It takes more effort cornering the cursor, than reaching for the F9/F10 key :(

Reaction score
I was never very good at the two finger tap to work on my touch pad. However, Apple click gives me open in a new tab and Ctrl click gives me a right click. Those work beautifully for me.

Reaction score
to right click without a mouse...just two finger tap. i am pretty sure thats how it works.just take both fingers and tap em on the pad. macs have multi touch in their touch pads i'm pretty sure.
this needs to be enabled in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse. It's disabled by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen
See below. Sorry my work PC had a brain fart and my post got posted twice haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo ~ 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM ~ 160 GB HD ~ 15" Glossy LED Screen

There is no tap or two finger tap function on the Mac's (at least the new ones) touch pad. To right click you have to ctrl + click.

Thanks for that tip cheez, helped a lot. I changed the Expose keys into fn, ctrl and option which is great because it's easy to reach. The only problem is it disables my other shortcuts like: (fn up/down to scroll the window)

Although there is no two finger tap function on the touch pad you can use two fingers to scroll the window up and down or side to side or diagonal on the touch pad. Just slide two fingers anywhere on the touch pad. It is a nice feature I use quite often even when I do have my mouse attached to my laptop. Also Verbatim this will free up those fn keys to make them your expose shortcuts.

Correction I guess there is the tap function available. I stand corrected. I personally was excited there wasn't that tap function when I got my MBP. I hated the touch pad on windows laptops. I guess I wasn't as coordinated enough to use it. Everytime I went to move the mouse I was tapping the mouse. Frustrations!!!

Reaction score
Two finger tap and two finger click are two things I couldn't live without it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.