• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

dvd burner... PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a powermac g4, and I am running os x tiger 10.4.0. Anyways, I am really bad at dvd burners and I am looking to buy one for my mac. Here's the problem. I've looked and looked all over google to try to find an inexpensive 100$ or less one that is compatible and worth the money. I'm not sure that I understand the difference between an internal and external drive either. Does external mean that it kind of just sits outside of the computer and doesn't have to be actually installed, but is connected through the usb ports? Also, if you recommend internal rather than external where is the best place to buy/get this installed because as you can see I obviously will not be able to install this myself. :) Thanks for your time! -Vince

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Well... Internals are actually installed into the case. Externals are hooked up via USB or Firewire. In my experience Internal drives are usually less expensive...as for installation I don't really know of a good tech place seeing as I don't know the area you live in, but I would just suggest asking a friend w/ a little more computer knowledge to do it for you. Or even a friend's son or daughter...kids seem to know a lot more about computers...lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
tigerdirect.com is a good place to look for inexpensive computer parts. Good luck.

Reaction score
Whoah!

As a "proud" owner of a new Mac, I'd suggest you think twice about letting anyone other than an experienced technician do that kind of job. It may well void your guarantee as well. Much safer to buy an external burner with at least Firewire 400, or Firewire 800 connectivity. Watch though: how many Firewire ports have you got in the Mac, and how many are you currently using. Otherwise, you've then got the expense of buying an (external) Firewire Hub, which gives you one or more extra Firewire ports. (A bit like a double adapter for electrical appliances). Don't know how new you are to this, so hope I'm not speaking down to you.
I was talking to someone in the States via these forums, and she just bought a brilliant external burner for her Mac, costing about $120 - brand was Pioneer and it burned dual layer discs as well. With other features, it put my (additional) external burner to shame, and I thought IT was a good brand. Try somewhere like MacSales or even Amazon - I don't know all the online shops over there. I could hunt down the model number of the Pioneer if you wanted - I think it was something like OMW Mercury Pioneer and then the model numbers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.