Spotlight index is broken

Reaction score
For some reason, it's not finding some very obvious files on my hard drive. And the saved searches aren't bringing up files that they used to, just last week.

How do I force Spotlight to reindex? It's finding the documents on my cloned drive, but not on the main drive..even though the files exist there. Actually, here's the weird part: a search for a certain keyword on 'Mac' (main HD) brings up 8 results, then I click on 'Clone' and it says 369 results!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Go to System Preferences --> Spotlight and make sure everything in there is checked.

If they are, then download a program called Onyx. Under the Maintenance tab, go to the Reset section, check the box called "Spotlight Index" and hit Execute. It should probably take some time for Spotlight to re-index the entire drive, but it should fix the problem.

Also be sure to run the "Verify and Repair Permissions" job at the top of the Maintenance tab. Let us know if this fixes your problem :D

OP
C
Reaction score
I'll try that when I get home. I tried "mdutil -E /" last night which removes the index, then it gets rebuilt. Still didn't fix the problem I don't think :( Not sure what happened, but I'll give Onyx a try tonight.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Good to hear that you got it fixed :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
this happened to me yesterday,
a simple restart did the trick :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.