True memory limit question

Reaction score
According to Apple, the limit is 4GB.

According to another thread, the Intel "Santa Rosa" limit is 8GB. However, the poster assumed (perhaps correctly) that the latest MacBook Pro conforms to the Santa Rosa specification based on the processor. However, Intel configurations (Centrino, Santa Rosa, ...) also include requirements for support chipsets beyond just the processor.

Hence the question, is the latest MacBook Pro truely Santa Rosa compliant and therefore upgradable to 8GB?

Thanks,
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
It is updrageable to 8GB but as far as I know there is no 4GB sticks being sold yet as they have not been developed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
To be fully "Santa Rosa Platform" (or "Centrino Duo" or "Centrino Pro") compliant it would need an Intel graphics chip, but it doesn't. I don't see how that would affect the RAM capacity though.

It should go up to 8GB if you can get the 4GB sticks.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks to Skye and Levi. So I guess I'll take the risk in purchasing the 15" MacBook at 4GB and hope to upgrade to 8GB in a couple of years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.