• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No Audio on Video Clips

srp

Reaction score
My sister has a Sony DCR-SR80. I copied the clips from the HD to my Macbook. The clips wouldn't play. I searched online about this problem & discovered that I needed to purchase the MPEG-2 for Quicktime. I did that. Now, the video clips play fine. But, there's no sound - at all. I opened up iTunes in order to see if my speakers are working at all & they are. The sound just will not come from the video clips.

Is there a setting or something I need to make sure it set right? What's going on? I forked out $20 and I would like this to be working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

OP
srp

srp

Reaction score
I figured it out.

I was using Quicktime & I guess it doesn't convert the audio. So, I downloaded MPEG Streamclip & the sound works through it.

So, I'm a happy camper at the moment.

Hope this information is helpful for some other folks out there having this problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.0 GHz, Core Duo, 2 GB Ram
you got it...good job!

Now if you want to edit it in imovie you can use mpegstreamclip to export it as .dv and it should work well.

I've also read that if you open iMovie project and creat it as an HD DV profect, that you can import the clips straight without transcoding them first and they will work, but haven't tried it myself.

Brian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.