Generic Mac troubleshooting

Reaction score
I've found that in Windows you can solve a very large number of problems by either a) closing the troublesome program via the task manager. b)restarting. or c)restarting in safe mode and then restarting normally.

Is there any Mac equivalent to these all-purpose troubleshooting methods?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Catfish,

You are illustrating a), b), and c) reasons to switch to Mac.

a) it is very rare, but I suppose that the closest resemblance to that scenario is force quitting a application (command-option-escape brings up the force quit menu). I have to use it for Safari once in a while.

b) again, quite rare. I usually do it only as a precaution. I think that I have had only two or three kernel panics in the almost 6 years on my current Mac.

c) I don't know of a way to perform a "driver limited" startup on OS X, but I'm definitely not the top guru around here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
to Safe Boot, you hold Shift whilst booting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've found that in Windows you can solve a very large number of problems by either a) closing the troublesome program via the task manager. b)restarting. or c)restarting in safe mode and then restarting normally.

Is there any Mac equivalent to these all-purpose troubleshooting methods?
These are the exact same methods one should use first, no matter what OS they are using. The only exception with Mac is that booting into a "safe mode" isn't really necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.