What physical printer connection is best?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi, I've been lurking on this site for a while to gain knowledge ahead of the big day ie when I order my first imac. Well, the big day has arrived and I'm about to order the new 24" jobby - boy am I excited!.

Simultaneous with installing the new imac (does taking it out of the box and switching on count as installing?), I'll be installing a wireless network (Netgear 802.11n ADSL router).

A couple of days ago my trusty, long serving Hp LaserJet III died so I need to buy a new laser printer. I already have an Epson R300 colour inkjet (USB) and my new printer will be USB but could also (a) have built-in Ethernet or (b) be connected through a printer server.

My question then is how best to connect the printers to the imac/network? I shall need my new mono laser printer accessible to the rest of the family (thats an Apple 20" iMac, wireless enabled HP laptop running XP, Toshiba laptop running Vista Home Basic and a yet to be purchased macbook), but I'd rather just have the Epson available just to my imac or at least have some control over when the others use it.

The router will located completely separate from the computers but both printers will be within a couple of metres of my new imac.

I'm planning to connect the Epson to the imac via USB but for the new printer should I do the same (thus using two USB ports), use a wireless print server (and if so can anyone recommend an 'n' print server) or, if I get a Ethernet enabled printer can I connect to the imac using the Ethenet connection?

I'm still researching the laser printer but my favourite currently is the Lexmark E250. Anyone have any comments on this choice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.