HELP !!! My baby brother accidentally spilled acetone on my WHITE MACBOOK !!

Reaction score
:(( :(( :(( Guys, pleasseeee help me out. I'm dying over here :(. I left my Macbook on and was out the room for about 3 minutes. When I came back, my brother was scraping the surface of the area near the Macbook trackpad, right next to him the lid of the acetone bottle slid off, liquid pouring out. I was literally screaming out loud while trying to restrain myself from not slitting my own throat since I was the one who placed the acetone bottle so within the reach of my brother.
So my 4 month old White macbook is totally ruined. Ruined. The part of my macbook on the two sides of the trackpad is peeling off like my own skin often does when the dry season hits. No, much much worse than that. All I know now is that I want to change the case or at least the ruined part ASAP. Is it possible for me to contact Apple and require such service? I'm willing to spend some extra bucks if they can revert my White Macbook back to its once pristine appearance. And how much do you think it would cost? I'm seriously thinking about changing the color to black if the case replacement theory is feasible. Please tell me there's sth I can do !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I think you need to speak to Apple rather than us.

M

MacHeadCase

Good point!... Acetone. :Oops:

It will melt the MacBook finish. I would imagine Apple can't do anything as this is an accident, not a manufacturing defect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
What is acetone and WHY is it within your baby brothers reach?
First part: It's finger nail polish remover. Update: Well doh, MHC's link already said that. -_^

Second part: She (he?) will have to answer that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
I think the smell might give it away...

Reaction score
You might be able to pay Apple to replace the top case assembly (keyboard/palm rest/touchpad) but it definitely won't be covered under warranty. Do you have an Apple store nearby you could bring it to?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank all of you out there so much :). As I'm living outside of the US, and I'm not ready for some ascending in this month's phone bill, the support numbers on the Apple site just don't do me any good, yet. I just need someone to confirm that this is not the permanent state of my white, but not really white anymore now, macbook :(.
My brother was playing around in my bedroom; I placed my macbook on the table and the nail polish remover which is acetone was only a few steps away . My friend was there earlier and probably had taken the bottle out of its place and left it on the table instead. Because the bottle was white and really tiny, I didn't pay much attention to it until... :(
I'll be in Wallingford, CT in September. I think there is some store within the area :(. I'm not counting on this incident to be covered under warranty for it's obviously my own fault. I just hope, as carsncars said, Apple can charge me the extra bucks to replace the top assembly...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
If that happened to my MacBook (or if I had one) then I would take the hard drive out right away in case I lost all my data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Being a CT resident my self there are 3 apple stores in CT, one in Stamford (stamford mall) Danbury (Danbury fair mall) and Farmington (westfarms mall) I have only been to the one in Danbury the staff there was very helpful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano
Try MacService. They have all the Macbook cases but they are pricey.
Macservice.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
Check out your household insurance. This sort of thing would normally be covered so it will at least cost you a bit less to fix it.

Reaction score
If that happened to me, I'd just repaint the case myself. thinking of painting the cover on my powerbook soon. its a bit scratched see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
If that happened to me, I'd just repaint the case myself. thinking of painting the cover on my powerbook soon. its a bit scratched see.

Acetone is corrosive to plastic, so painting it isn't exactly a solution as that the acetone will cause the plastic to "melt" and deform.

I don't think that it would do anything to destroy the drive from the description the OP gave. If it was that massive of a spill, it would have been "OMG, my MBP won't even turn on because an acetone based substance spilled all over it and seeped down into the mother board where it melted everything and destroyed it." Even then, I don't think it would have done much to an enclosed drive that's made of metal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
post a picture of the macbook.

Reaction score
"The part of my macbook on the two sides of the trackpad is peeling off like my own skin often does when the dry season hits. No, much much worse than that". that was the good bit. why would you even be near someone whos messn with stuff like that anyway

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks so much BlackSheep and kkelly122. With the replacing price in the range of 220~245$ like this, I dont think I'll be able to afford a new top case :((. I'll try putting on some of the Apple stickers as a quick fix... Luckily the hard drive still works like a charm :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.