Spelling Aids

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Are there any good spelling and grammer aids such as spell checkers for the mac? Im after a program that will run in the background and check all my spelling i enter in to the computer such as web forms, IM chat windows etc..

I have tried a few diffrent programs for windows but i am still yet to find one that works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
There is CMD+shift +:
and you can try:F7 ( This is my function key I can't remember if it is the default Look in System Pref...Keyboard..Keyboard short cuts)With F7 you get a thesaurus too just mouse over any word while typing in any CoCoa application or F5 while typing get you suggestions if you know how a word starts

I hope this helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
There is CMD+shift +:

Indeed.

Command ; = Check Spelling
Command : (meaning Command Shift ; ) = Spelling... (opens a floating window)

Works only in Cocoa apps, i.e. Safari, TextEdit, etc.

and you can try:F7 ( This is my function key I can't remember if it is the default Look in System Pref...Keyboard..Keyboard short cuts)With F7 you get a thesaurus too just mouse over any word while typing in any CoCoa application or F5 while typing get you suggestions if you know how a word starts

I believe the defaults are:

Command Control D = Dictionary and Thesaurus pop-up
Press that over while your mouse is over a word to get the pop-up. You can also hold the buttons then hover the mouse across many words.
It's set on "Oxford Dictionary" at first. You can select "Oxford Thesaurus" from the drop-down.

Option Escape = Complete (suggestions for the word that you've started to type)

Once again, only in Cocoa apps.

You can find all the keyboard shortcuts by looking at the Edit menu of TextEdit (and other apps).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Thanks for the defaults.

I assigned a function key to make it easier for me to remember the combination....Sorry if I mislead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
In the Edit menu, under spelling, the last option is "Check Spelling as You Type". That will leave the spell checker on, and automatically underline things it can't find in the dictionary.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what are Cocoa apps? is Cocoa a software companie?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
Cocoa is an application programming interface (API), as in certain apps are written in Cocoa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoa_(API)

Most apps in Mac OS X are written in Cocoa,
such as Safari, Mail, TextEdit, System Preferences, QuickTime, Preview, etc.

Others are written in Carbon, which was made to port Classic Mac OS apps to Mac OS X,
such as the Finder, iTunes, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, etc.

You can easily tell which are Cocoa apps by right-clicking in a text field. If you see
Cut
Copy
Paste
Spelling
Font
Speech
Writing Direction
it should be a Cocoa app.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would third party apps like firefox be cocoa?

So this built in spell checker would check my spelling in forms using programs like firefox on the fly and underline them for me?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.