Order with extra ram or buy ram seperatly?

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a windows user, and im in the middle of my university degree doing Information Systems (IT). I have wanted a mac for a while after doing graphic design.

I am soon to order a 24inch 2.4ghz imac, but i want 2gb of ram. So im not sure if i should order it standard and buy ram from another company and install myself or just save the hassle and buy it from apple included in the purchase of the imac.

Since this is my first Mac i dont want 2 risk anything. I do have experience in pulling systems apart but only windows based.

Thank you

Ben

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
the iMac is probably the easiest RAM swap ever!!! buy your new one with the standard gig, then upgrade it yourself. Apple will charge you bookoo!! do a search for "RAM upgrade imac" and you'll see what I mean!!!
Enjoy the 24"!!! i don't regret my 20", but the 24 would be SO sweet!!

OP
G
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank you for the help. I just did some research and discovered that it is very easy to update.. the ram itself is going to cost only AUS$70dollars!! when apple wanted 190 for the extra... the 24inch is kind of scary ive seen the older 23inch model and thats massive!!! but im planning on using it as a TV and xbox monitor also.

Thanx again

Reaction score
always a brand retailer is going to sell at high prices, i dont even know why you asked.

if you wanna be a cheap, you can go to returned item stores, where everything is even cheaper than a normal (cheap store)

OP
G
Reaction score
i dont even know why you asked.

well since im new to macs i have no idea if its easy or not 2 install ram. Sometimes ur better off paying the extra so you dont have to play around with it, but now i have that knowledge its very easy to install new ram modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Oh me having a question too:

Are RAMs connected to USB and/or FireWire?FW is faster,
So what is better, becuase you just have 2 FW, and 5 USB ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
Ram is a internal component of the imac, just like a soundcard or CPU....

Usb/Firewire are connections for external things such as Hard Drives, Camera, Mouse, Printer, Modem.

USB 2.0 runs at 480mb/s it is reliable and supported by many companies.
while firewire 400 runs at 400mb/s and firewire 800 mb/s firewire is used more for digital camcorders, it draws alot of power the firewire ports.

hope that helps mate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.