• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For console gaming: TV or Monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15'' Macbook Pro, 17'' Intel iMac, 80gb iPod classic
Alright, my tv has been dead for a month and I'm really needing some violent video games. I'm researching 20-26 inch LCD HD tv's for my room. (it's a small room, so i'm ok with the small screen)

I've found the prices for TV's range from 370-600 for the size i'm looking for. But then I checked out some Dell monitors and found a nice 22 inch for 249. I would be able hook my 360 up to it fine.

Are there any drawbacks to using a monitor instead of a tv? Or is it really as good as it sounds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.16ghz-2GB-160GB-SuperDrive| Video Ipod: 60gb Black| Nano: 4gb Red
I use my dell 20 inch WS for my 360, just have to buy the VGA cable for the 360, not a problem was like 30 bucks if I remember. It looks great, and I can just switch with a few clicks on the monitor to VGA --> DVI for my computer. Win Win Situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I am in the same boat but I am looking for a decent TV 200-400 range for my dorm that i can game on and run my macbook into (any ideas?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
I have a SyncMaster 711MP from Samsung LCD, but it stinks with a PS2 connected to it, bad quality (it's a tv and pc screen in 1) so I would rather go, with this experience, for a nice flatscreen tv ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
It basically comes down to how much cash you're willing to for out for a display.

If you get a big monitor, you'll need the VGA cable, which will enable you to play games in HD, which is what I do now on my 22" LG Flatron.

Or if you got an LCD/Plasma TV, it would still be running in HD either via component or VGA.

Typically, larger screen sizes in TV's are cheaper than a computer monitor.

The only drawback from using a monitor that I've come across, was the audio. With a TV, you'd put the red/white to it and the sound would come out of the speakers on the TV. With a monitor, it typically won't have speakers built in.

So what I did was, purchased an RCA>5.1 (1/8") "video game console adapter" made by Logitech. It allows me to connect the red/white RCA cables, to black/orange/green 1/8" jacks to use computer speakres for surround sound. I find this amazing sounding, as I can just crank the volume when playing on Xbox Live ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Or just buy a monitor with sounds build in,
or plug it in on your stereo ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.16ghz-2GB-160GB-SuperDrive| Video Ipod: 60gb Black| Nano: 4gb Red
It basically comes down to how much cash you're willing to for out for a display.

If you get a big monitor, you'll need the VGA cable, which will enable you to play games in HD, which is what I do now on my 22" LG Flatron.

Or if you got an LCD/Plasma TV, it would still be running in HD either via component or VGA.

Typically, larger screen sizes in TV's are cheaper than a computer monitor.

The only drawback from using a monitor that I've come across, was the audio. With a TV, you'd put the red/white to it and the sound would come out of the speakers on the TV. With a monitor, it typically won't have speakers built in.

So what I did was, purchased an RCA>5.1 (1/8") "video game console adapter" made by Logitech. It allows me to connect the red/white RCA cables, to black/orange/green 1/8" jacks to use computer speakres for surround sound. I find this amazing sounding, as I can just crank the volume when playing on Xbox Live ;)

Exactly what I did, I was lucky my surround sound came with that exact adapter.

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so say I get a monitor. How do i connect the sound? I have a stereo I could use, but I don't know how to connect it or anything...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so say I get a monitor. How do i connect the sound? I have a stereo I could use, but I don't know how to connect it or anything...

Does the stereo have Audio inputs in the back (Most of the time their are Red and White) if so, you plug your xbox/ps3/wii or some other systems Audio cables into that, and the VGA adapter that you bought into the monitor.

photo1td9.jpg

(Yes my room is dirty)

:p

OP
hobs707
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the stereo have Audio inputs in the back (Most of the time their are Red and White) if so, you plug your xbox/ps3/wii or some other systems Audio cables into that, and the VGA adapter that you bought into the monitor.

photo1td9.jpg

(Yes my room is dirty)

:p

Ah yeah it does have that. Thanks. Hey are you holding two seperate cables? I'm going to buy the VGA adapter for 360 to plug into the monitor, does that have audio cables built into it or is that seperate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
okay, i am a newb to this, if i bought that monitor, what else would i need to beable to watch TV on it? what adapters would i need for tv, sound, dvd's and my macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah yeah it does have that. Thanks. Hey are you holding two seperate cables? I'm going to buy the VGA adapter for 360 to plug into the monitor, does that have audio cables built into it or is that seperate?

One cable, both ends. Yes it has the audio cables built into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
Well i am considering picking up the formentioned 20 inch lcd monitor $400 seems fair.. but i was wondering if someone could post links to the cables i would need to connect my macbook, and 360 also can this be used as a t.v that i can hook direct t.v up to. One last thing. Will i be able to hook my jbl Creature II's to this

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Monitors are nice, but usually you cant watch tv on them....at least they dont have built in tuners. You can pick up 32 inch vizios for around 450. Im selling a 23' panasonic also if anyones interested. Theres plenty of well priced options out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but from what i hear the picture of a macbook isnt very good on a t.v

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz, iPhone 4
Hmm I can not say I have seen a mac hooked up to a tv. Ive had a desktop hooked up to a 50 inch tv and it looked just fine. Ive never tried hooking my powerbook to the 23 inch panasonic, I dont know what connectors are required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i need some first hand experience then and 32" is way to big do they make smaller ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.