Older iMac G3 Blue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 2 GHz Core Duo 1.5GB 667 MHz 20" iMac & 400 MHz Power PC G3 256 MB SDRAM Blue iMac
I bought a iMac 400 MHz Power PC G3 256 MB SDRAM from a Yard Sale. It wasn't working but I bought OS X Panther from eBay and got it working today WOOT! I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to maybe fix the screen? It's a bit blurry. I also wanted to know if anyone knew about what type of memory it needed, it's a bit slow and I wanted to speed it up a bit. Any ideas there?

I bought a FastMac G Processor Upgrade for G3 Power Macs, I think I got jyped though becuase I think the chip I got was the old one. I'll take a picture of it if anyone know anything about them. Anyway ... I asked a few questions here. Thanks for the help!

:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is an iMac with the built in monitor correct? What color is the case?

Edit, This is a DV and 400Mhz.

http://www.lowendmac.com/imacs/dv.shtml

All the 400 Mhz G3 iMacs seem to take PC100 SDRAM (Not SoDimm like the older Tray Loaders did). They will take 1GB total and each slot takes a 512MB PC100 SDRAM stick.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Think Different.

Since Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther runs on it, I guess you did install the Firmware Update on it, yes? Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to install at all.

And a grape iMac! Wow! I had one of those but the 266MHz one (previous generation).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Welcome to Mac-Forums, Think Different.

Since Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther runs on it, I guess you did install the Firmware Update on it, yes? Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to install at all.

And a grape iMac! Wow! I had one of those but the 266MHz one (previous generation).

I still have an old Grape 333Mhz G3. Runs Panther pretty well.

M

MacHeadCase

I had to give mine up within a year of owning it (I had bought it second-hand from a friend), the analog board went belly up and it would have cost me over $400CAN plus labour plus roughly 15% tax. We thought it wasn't worth it and bought a brand new 17" 800MHz G4 iMac instead of getting the other repaired.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to give mine up within a year of owning it (I had bought it second-hand from a friend), the analog board went belly up and it would have cost me over $400CAN plus labour plus roughly 15% tax. We thought it wasn't worth it and bought a brand new 17" 800MHz G4 iMac instead of getting the other repaired.

My board died but it was the Flyback (Horizontal Output) Transformer. I got one on Ebay and fixed it. Brand new for $30. I used to be a TV/Monitor repair person at one time so the repair was easy. It works good as new. Those boards are quite expensive!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All iMacs have built in monitors...

I was JUST BEING SURE he did not have a Blue and White G3. I very well know what an iMac is. When you help people it's good to be sure exactly what they own. Remember there are people here who say they are running 10.5 and call an intel Mac a G5.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I was JUST BEING SURE he did not have a Blue and White G3. I very well know what an iMac is. When you help people it's good to be sure exactly what they own. Remember there are people here who say they are running 10.5 and call an intel Mac a G5.

Good :p

I saw that you had 5,500 posts and I was like '...'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.