Internet Sharing OS X

D

Duncan Bone

Hi Guys/Gals,

Just installed Mac OsX 10.2.6 on the 2 cubes in our houes - use to run VicomSoft's Internet Gateway on Mac Os 9 and all was sweet. Now, with the new system I get to the internet sharing screen and the option is not clickable at all. Does anyone know if this is some restriction from my providers part (which I doubt as they have NO clue on Os X at all), or am I doing something very wrong?

I am using an Alcatel Speedtouch ADSL USB modem, 2 G4 500Mhz cubes and a small HUB/Ethernet connection, provider is BT (British Telecom) ADSL connection.

Any sort of help or ideas would be very very much appreciated, the network has been down for a week!

Thanks,

qp
db

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Duncan Bone said:
Now, with the new system I get to the internet sharing screen and the option is not clickable at all.

Do you have the firewall on?

I read in my Mac OSX book that the machine connected to the cable/modem must have the firewall disabled in order to enable internet sharing. The reason being apparently that Apple are trying to get everyone to buy the AirWave base station thingy which includes it's own Firewall.

The other new thing in OSX is that Rendezvous is supposed to auto detect the machines and allocate local IP addresses automatically so you shouldn't have to manually set up the Macs, it will also detect Rendezvous ready peripherals like printers and scanners connected to any of the network ready ports, i.e Firewire, USB or Ethernet.

Win XP is also supposed to negotiate Rendezvous protocol but I'll believe that when I see it!

Amen-Moses

OP
D

Duncan Bone

All Firewall options are off.

I have attached a screen grab of what the current situation looks like....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duncan Bone said:
screen grab

I have an extra box labelled "Share the connection with other computers on Built-in ethernet", I'm running 10.2.6 btw, which is strange considering I only have one ethernet port which I have configured as my Internet conection!

Amen-Moses

OP
D

Duncan Bone

i have managed to get the second box your are talking about up, once I figured out that I could have 2 settings activated on my network selection - BUT, although the cubes now seem to recognise each other, the second mac is still not having any luck with actually connecting to the internet.

Does anyone have any simple set up guide lines!?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duncan Bone said:
i have managed to get the second box your are talking about up, once I figured out that I could have 2 settings activated on my network selection - BUT, although the cubes now seem to recognise each other, the second mac is still not having any luck with actually connecting to the internet.

Does anyone have any simple set up guide lines!?!

Quoting verbatim from my Mac OSX book:

After clicking the share internet connection on built in ethernet box and the "Start" button.

To configure machines on the network:
(i.e do this on each client machine connected to the hub)

1. Open the network pane of System Preferences.

2. Choose the location you want to configure from the Location pop-up menu.

3. Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu.

4. Click TCP/IP tab.

5. Choose Using DCHP from the Configure pop-up menu.

6. Click Apply Now.

7. Close Systems Preferences utility.

That's all it says.

Amen-Moses

OP
D

Duncan Bone

Just got back home from the office and have tried that and still have no joy! Thanks for the tip though.

Now back to playing with this settings once again.....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Quoting verbatim from my Mac OSX book:

After clicking the share internet connection on built in ethernet box and the "Start" button.

To configure machines on the network:
(i.e do this on each client machine connected to the hub)

1. Open the network pane of System Preferences.

2. Choose the location you want to configure from the Location pop-up menu.

3. Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu.

4. Click TCP/IP tab.

5. Choose Using DCHP from the Configure pop-up menu.

6. Click Apply Now.

7. Close Systems Preferences utility.

I believe the above process only turns on DHCP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rman said:
I believe the above process only turns on DHCP.

Well it will tell each client box to use DHCP to connect to the one being used as an Internet gateway, I assume the "Start" button on the internet sharing pain (sorry pane ;)) actually starts up the DHCP server..

Maybe you need to specify gateway settings at each client? Or at least set the DNS entries to the same as whatever they are on the one connected to the modem?

I thought it was all pretty automatic under OSX, it was for my setup but I am connected to a cable set top box via ethernet so it is slightly different.

Amen-Moses

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Help me to better understand the problem. You have two computers, cubes running 10.2.6, one dsl modem and a ethernet hub. The modem is connected to your ISP and your hub is connected to your modem. Finally your two computers are connected to the hub.

Is this correct?

Is your hub acting as a router and is DHCP turned on?

Do you want to share data from both computers?

OP
D

Duncan Bone

Yep,

cube_01 is running 10.2.6
with an USB ADSL modem connected straight to the computer.

Cube_02 is still on 10.2 and is connected through a HUB via ethernet to Cube_01

This set-up worked perfectly with Mac Os 9 and Vicomsoft's Internet Gateway software.

I have set both machines to run on DHCP.

Also the main objective is to share the internet connection not the data.

thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I see it now. I think that cube_01 should have DHCP server turned on. I am guessing that cube_02 is not getting an ip address.

If you know the ip address of cube_01, you can off-set that ip address by one and enter that into cube_02.

I have not worked with a hub, so I am not sure if this is the right approach.

If yu have some extra funds. You can get a router. Connect the router to the modem (enable DHCP server). connect the two cubes to the router and enable DHCP client.

The server would supply each of the cubes an ip address. :)

I am hoping I am not making this any harder.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duncan Bone, have made any progress. I was talking with one of friend, who is very good in networking. He suggested you move the hub, place between the cubes and the modem.

OP
D

Duncan Bone

Hiya, still at the office at the moment, so haven't had time to try anything else out.

Obviously I am trying to avoid spending more money - but if the problem persists I have no option but to go out and buy a router!

Still going to make sure I cover all options before that.

On your friends advice - this is the current set-up as it stands.... is it the same thing?

cube_network.jpg

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the ADSL USB Modem have the following ports: RJ11 (phone port); RJ45 (ethernet port) and a USB port. Can you connect this modem with out using the USB port? If so, connect the ethernet port to hub. I will check with my friend about the usb modem.

OP
D

Duncan Bone

About to head to my house now and one of my mates the Technical Director of the company is gonna come over and give it a shot - I will post up a reply to your previous question once we have a look.

Will get back to you in about 30 mins.

thanks

OP
D

Duncan Bone

IT'S UP AND RUNNING!!!!

The problem seemed to lie in the IPs given to the machines. Although I was on DHCP, once we looked into the Network Utility Programme, the first obvious thing was that the IPs hadn't changed from various previous settings. So although my network read one thing, the other showed something completely different.

Once we set this up, using manual numbers corresponding to the main computer and could ping the other cube - the last thing left to do was to get hold of the DNS server for my provider.

Then it was all sweeeeeeeet! All is running perfect and even better then it ever did with VicomSofts Internet Gateway.

Thanks for your help guys and I hope this page will be useful to some one else out there.

thanks once again,

qp
db

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duncan Bone said:
IT'S UP AND RUNNING!!!!

The problem seemed to lie in the IPs given to the machines. Although I was on DHCP, once we looked into the Network Utility Programme, the first obvious thing was that the IPs hadn't changed from various previous settings. So although my network read one thing, the other showed something completely different.

Once we set this up, using manual numbers corresponding to the main computer and could ping the other cube - the last thing left to do was to get hold of the DNS server for my provider.

Then it was all sweeeeeeeet! All is running perfect and even better then it ever did with VicomSofts Internet Gateway.

Thanks for your help guys and I hope this page will be useful to some one else out there.

thanks once again,

qp
db

So when you updated to OSX the previous network settings were still hanging around?

I thought you might have to set the DNS entries manually, when I plugged my beast in it somehow got the DNS entries automatically from my cable provider, they are obviously Rendezvous aware or something, but when doing the same setup with my windoze boxes I have to manually set the DNS entries (although in both cases IP addresses get allocated thru DHCP.

Amen-Moses

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am happy for you, Duncan Bone. Congrats on finally getting everything to work. I know your pain. I went through a similar thing when I connected my three computers to my cable connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.