New iMac - how to stick Front Row remote to it

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm not too sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you own one of the new Aluminium and glass iMacs, then you MAY be wondering "Ok but WHERE do I stick the Front Row remote?."

Remember on the white iMac, you stuck it to the bottom RIGHT hand side, well on the new iMac, it sticks to the bottom right, not on the side EDGE, but on the glass where the BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE BLACK BORDER OF THE SCREEN IS.

Simple enough, when you're addicted to YouTube! :D

[PS]

Apparently the glass is a REMOVABLE panel, held on by 16 extremely strong magnets?!. That would explain how the FR remote sticks where it does. Cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
While I'll agree that there seems to be a magnetic pull in the black border, it definitely isn't strong enough to hold the remote in place.

It would have been nice if Apple had left the magnet in the lower right hand corner...

OP
D
Reaction score
While I'll agree that there seems to be a magnetic pull in the black border, it definitely isn't strong enough to hold the remote in place.

It would have been nice if Apple had left the magnet in the lower right hand corner...

So in that case, perhaps you could explain how this chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPYhfsH9onA

...managed to stick his *exactly* where I just explained?!.

This is the video that told me how to do it, so can you disprove this dude?.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
I have to side with Kash on this one. I was wondering how to stick the remote to the screen. After reading this thread I tried to just where it was explained and it simply does not stay on the screen. The best attempt I have had so far is that it stuck to the side of the glass screen along the black border for a couple seconds and then slowly slid downward until it fell off. Any tips on getting it to work as it should?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So in that case, perhaps you could explain how this chap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPYhfsH9onA

...managed to stick his *exactly* where I just explained?!.

This is the video that told me how to do it, so can you disprove this dude?.

Hold on a second, have you actually tried doing it yourself or are you simply basing this on what you see in the video?

Also, I'm not refuting your claim of it working, I'm simply stating that it does not work for ME. If you somehow have a difficult time understanding this concept, I could go ahead and make a video just like he did to "prove" to you that it doesn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
I don't have a new iMac but from watching that video on YouTube I wouldn't say that's where the remote goes simply because it looks out of place and a bit ugly slapped there on the front of the machine. Don't you think?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if there is an Official place to hang the remote?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MacBook 2GB RAM
Hold on a second, have you actually tried doing it yourself or are you simply basing this on what you see in the video?

Also, I'm not refuting your claim of it working, I'm simply stating that it does not work for ME. If you somehow have a difficult time understanding this concept, I could go ahead and make a video just like he did to "prove" to you that it doesn't work.

Lol :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yh i would have thought apple would keep the magnet for the remote in the same place as the previous model.

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm not too sure if this has already been mentioned, but if you own one of the new Aluminium and glass iMacs, then you MAY be wondering "Ok but WHERE do I stick the Front Row remote?."

Remember on the white iMac, you stuck it to the bottom RIGHT hand side, well on the new iMac, it sticks to the bottom right, not on the side EDGE, but on the glass where the BOTTOM RIGHT HAND CORNER OF THE BLACK BORDER OF THE SCREEN IS.

Simple enough, when you're addicted to YouTube! :D

[PS]

Apparently the glass is a REMOVABLE panel, held on by 16 extremely strong magnets?!. That would explain how the FR remote sticks where it does. Cool.

Do you even own a new iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Any conclusions at all yet? ;)

I was pretty amazed by the previous place of it, but if it's gone, that would be pretty sadly :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The conclusion is that there have been two people who have confirmed that this does not work and a single person who claims that it does on the basis of seeing it in a Youtube video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
Fair deal,

well I have many remotes and other technical stuff sized of a remote on my desk, so I don't care having an Apple remote with it, makes it a nice mountain :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4 C2D, 2Gb, 320Gb HD, 500GB External OWC FW800, 17" MBP, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb, 500Gb HD, iPhone.
I have a new 24" iMac and my remote will NOT stick there or anywhere. I can feel it pull a little when I put it there but it is by no means strong enough to hold it. Is the iMac in the video a 20" and is the magnet stronger in that one? Or maybe there's a just a variance of magnet strength in that some will stick and others will not?

Anywhoo....I can confirm it will NOT stick on mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple has said that the new iMacs do NOT have a place for the remotes.

M

MacHeadCase

The conclusion is that there have been two people who have confirmed that this does not work and a single person who claims that it does on the basis of seeing it in a Youtube video.

But but but if it's on YouTube, isn't it true? :eek:

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
250 HDD, 2 GHz Intel, C2D, 1GB RAM
I have a new 24" iMac and my remote will NOT stick there or anywhere. I can feel it pull a little when I put it there but it is by no means strong enough to hold it. Is the iMac in the video a 20" and is the magnet stronger in that one?

Nope, Joe Diver. I have the 20" screen and it does not stick to mine. Like you I feel a slight pull but nowhere near enough to hold the remote on. Kinda sux because the people in the Apple store said it would. Oh well...I love the new iMac anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.