Mac Pro running soo slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
Recently I started using the pro apps more often. I knew it would run slow w/ these apps but not this much slower.

Yesterday I had to wait about 5 minutes for Compressor to import a 5 gig video and another 3 minutes of the beach-ball every-time I changed a setting.

Today I wanted to remove 1750 referenced photos from aperture and the program just locks up and I have to force quit it.

I run OnyX regularly. I thought this computer was meant for this. Is it because I only have 1 gig of Ram?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Hmm. RAM is probably the problem by the sound of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought so. thanks. Anyone else have a suggestion or do you agree?

M

MacHeadCase

I just looked at the Aperture Minimum Requirements and this is what it says for using the app on a Mac Pro:

Memory:

- 1GB of RAM required
- 2GB of RAM required for Mac Pro

So I think you definitely need to add more RAM. Note that 2GB is a minimum requirement. If you run other apps in the background you will need more than 2GBs of RAM in total on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AMD 533 MHz, 312 mb RAM, 80 HDD. :(
1 GB of RAM sounds pretty tiny for a Mac Pro,

To just mention that he new iMacs come with a standard of 1 GB, how long ago did you buy it ? ;)

But well, I will conclude indeed, more RAM will hopefully do the trick,

Maybe try to find some nice cheap ones on Ebay, adding like 2GB would not costs too much and it will give you a nice feeling again on the mac (that's what it's all about isn't it :p )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yep more ram

- Recommended Configuration

Mac computer with 2GHz or faster Intel Core Duo or dual 2GHz of faster PowerPC G5
Mac OS X version 10.4.8 or later
2GB of SDRAM

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for the help.

I would just buy some on ebay but I need the kind with the special heat-sinks because on the mac pro the warm air from the processors goes to the ram.

I was thinking about selling my 2 x 512 MB and putting in 2 x 1 GB. They say you should have everything the same capacity and the 512 MB sticks run the slowest.

I bought it a month after it was released ;D

I was thinking $90 for the 2 x 512. Does that sound right?

M

MacHeadCase

Personally I never look for bargain brands when I buy RAM. I had a RAM stick turn bad on me and I would rather buy from a reputable source with a lifetime warranty so that if ever my investment goes bad, I'll get a free replacement.

I trust OWC. I bought some RAM from them a few years back for an old grape iMac and they were very nice and professional to deal with, very helpful.

You can also check Crucial which is a very very good brand of RAM and so is Kingston.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at Crucial and they are a bit pricey. But OWC have great prices. I may end up keeping what I have and adding to it. Thank you very much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Personally I never look for bargain brands when I buy RAM. I had a RAM stick turn bad on me and I would rather buy from a reputable source with a lifetime warranty so that if ever my investment goes bad, I'll get a free replacement.

I trust OWC. I bought some RAM from them a few years back for an old grape iMac and they were very nice and professional to deal with, very helpful.

You can also check Crucial which is a very very good brand of RAM and so is Kingston.

I agree with this. I have used Crucial RAM since about 1998 and never had any issues. You can still get it for less than half what Apple charge. :Angry-Tongue:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.