Possible to switch to an older OS?

Reaction score
I'm currently using 10.4 and well, I didn't know about it untill it happens, but their is a known error with 10.4 and my lacie external HD. So Instead of waiting for Mac or lacie to work this problem out. Is it possible to "upgrade" to a older OS? If so, how?
all help is very appreciated

thx.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Exactly which version of OSX is installed on your Mac? Is it 10.4.10? Let us know and we can better help you. Some have complained of External HD's that will not mount under 10.4.10. Click the Blue Apple in the Top left corner and see exactly which version of 10.4 you have installed.

OP
P
Reaction score
yes it is 10.4.10 sorry, I thought I put that. And yes, i've been looking around alot on various forums, and It seems I'm having the same problem as everyone else, So i figured going to an earlier version will hopefully fix this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The only way I know to go backwards is reinstall, but you could do an Archive and Install and it would keep all your settings and documents. Then download the 10.4.9 Combo Updater and keep saying no for 10.4.10 until that issue gets solved. When you boot from the OSX DVD, before the install starts there is an advanced button. Select Archive and Install.

OP
P
Reaction score
and doind that would not erase any of the data on my mac Cause im reaslly into music, and canno't afford to loose anything that I've made/am working on, or any samples that ive' recorded

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Nope. That archive and install will do a clean install of the system but make a folder with all of your old data and put it in that. S all of your work will be in that folder. But to be extra sure you can always put your data into a portable hard drive or burn to a cd/dvd. You can never be too safe.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Please.

Which LaCie external drive is it? Mine is doing well under 10.4.10 and I have no problems whatsoever with it.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, and thanks.
Its a 250gb USB model.
Now I'd like all my applications, and gigs upon gigs of samples to be saved aswell.
So I'm assuming, when I archive, Just drag everything in applications, my documents, music ect.. into one large folder, then select to archive that folder?
I'm still a bit confused, and really really don't want to loose any data, like I said, i'm a musician and really can't afford it.

M

MacHeadCase

Better not do that manually. Let a terrific app like SuperDuper! do it for you. SuperDuper! is the best in its class according to this test.

And with an app making the backup for you, there won't be any worries of possible corruption of files and your external will be turned into a bootable copy of your internal hard drive so if anything happens to your Macintosh HD, it'll be backed up.

OP
P
Reaction score
The reason I have to make the switch, is because the current version of my OS isn't reading my External HD. Even though it did fine for 2 months or so, and it works on my windows desktop. But like I said, I've read about alot of people having problems with external harddrives on 10.4.10. So I Figured downgrading should fix it.

Reaction score
To be on the safe side I would make a partition and copy your music to that partition. Then when you reinstall you know your music will be safe! I always burn a DVD or two as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.