Leopard/Tiger shell game of sorts

Reaction score
I have a new MBP that I will be upgrading to Leopard when it comes out. I also have, though have not used in a year or so, a 450MHz G4 desktop. Would it be possible to buy Leopard, put it on the MBP, then install the Tiger that was on the MBP onto the G4?

I'm speaking both in terms of physical possibility, and licensing possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Nope.

The version that came with the MBP is for the MBP only, it won't work on any other computer.

Not only that, but the one that came with the MBP is Intel, and your G4 is PowerPC, so it wouldn't even work if you h4x3d it.

Also, if it did work, it would be legally naughty. You would get spanked.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Even if the G4 were an Intel machine which it's not, (it's Power PC) Most of the DVD's that come with Macbooks, MBP's ETC are model specific and will not install on another model Mac.

The main thing is your G4 is totally different architecture so NO Intel version of OSX will even run in any way. It would be like trying to run Windows on a G3, G4 or G5 Power PC Mac. It will not even boot the install media.

OP
mongoloido
Reaction score
Thanks. I totally spaced on the CPU differences. Looks like if I want to give my old Mac a facelift, it won't be free. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.