Converting PNG to JPG & Screen Capture Tool Help

Reaction score
Hello fellow Mac users,

I have a PNG that I am trying to set as my signature on another forum. That particular forum has a rule of images being a maximum of 500x100 pixels, and a maximum of 48.8 KB in size.

The image I want to use is 478x94 pixels but is a whopping 92 KB. I was told that if I converted it (from PNG) to JPG I might be able to swing it. Alas, I have no idea how to convert from PNG to JPG.

---

Also, I was wondering if it was possible to set Mac OS X's screen capture utility to save as JPG rather than PNG.

Any help is appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
download imagewell from here - http://xtralean.com/IWOverview.html

drag and drop the picture into the little window.
click more
and save it as a jpeg

or

open the file in preview. and click file save as. name it what you like. and select the format you would like to save it as. click save. there you go. your image in your chosen format

hope this helps

chris

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you Chris. Couldn't've asked for better advice. Used your Preview method and it took it all the way down to 32 KB. I can't detect a drop in quality either.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
neither of the terminal commands worked for me, but OnyX did

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.