Reinstalling OEM version of XP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
If I buy an OEM version of XP and use it via bootcamp, can I later decide to use it via Parallels and will I need/be able to reinstall the OEM version of Windows (still on the same computer)? Wasn't sure if OEM was a one-time install or can install it as many times as needed, just on the same computer. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There are a few things going on here.

Firstly, an OEM version of windows can only be legally sold with new hardware. Unless you bought it with your Mac, you should not be using it. However, it is a bit of a grey area and some re-sellers will sell it with a motherboard, CPU or even a RAM stick - I am not clear of the legalities here.

Secondly, installing any version of Windows on both Bootcamp and Parallels, technically means you have it on two machines, which breaks the EULA for most versions of Windows. Parallels is a virtual machine and so requires it's own license. OEM versions of Windows NEVER allow for multiple installs - you would need an enterprise version. You might find activating XP an issue on "two" machines at the same time.

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Thank you for explaining that to me.

Would I be able to order an OEM version and a RAM stick from newegg.com, for example?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for explaining that to me.

Would I be able to order an OEM version and a RAM stick from newegg.com, for example?

They recently changed the rules around this...

newegg said:
Disclaimer: Qualifying proof of purchase must be recent receipts showing the purchase of a mother board, hard drive, RAM and a CPU. The components can be on multiple receipts; not necessarily all on one receipt nor on the same receipt as the qualifying Windows XP/Office 2003 that you purchased.

Your Mac may count as a recent hardware purchase. You should check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Well if you can get it off Amazon then how is it illegal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well if you can get it off Amazon then how is it illegal?

You're able to purchase lots of things that are supposed to be used one way and if used another is not legal or is breaking the EULA. Just because you can purchase it, doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with it.

The OEM version comes with a very specific license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I thought You needed a audio cable or something, not a motherboard etc...

Some of these licensing laws are pretty vague.
But its the same hardware so technically it is the same machine, as both operating systems are installed onto one hard disk and although they will appear as two installs, its the same pc or in this case... mac :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not that complicated, but the EULA for OEM software from MS did change recently.

Basically, the EULA did not come into effect until you had installed the software on a machine, and it was permitted to buy the software with a single component of the machine you were building. At the point you installed XP, it became 'married' to that hardware and at that point becomes non-transferable.

All of this changed on 2006...

n this new Agreement (which you can see at: http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?PageID=553068), you will notice a few changes to address these actions by these people:

Under the Software Distribution section of the Agreement, you will notice it now states:

"4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power supply, and a case."

You will notice the loophole that people have been exploiting (the former language which stated that an OEM desktop Operating System license could be sold with "non-peripheral hardware,") is no longer in place. It is now very simple and straightforward: an OEM license must be sold "only with a fully assembled computer system." Loophole closed.

The important bit is that it is not down to the reseller to ensure this is adhered to, because until the software is installed, the agreement does not come into effect.

The same applies to Student Teacher versions of Office etc.

End of story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
It's not that complicated, but the EULA for OEM software from MS did change recently.

Basically, the EULA did not come into effect until you had installed the software on a machine, and it was permitted to buy the software with a single component of the machine you were building. At the point you installed XP, it became 'married' to that hardware and at that point becomes non-transferable.

All of this changed on 2006...

The important bit is that it is not down to the reseller to ensure this is adhered to, because until the software is installed, the agreement does not come into effect.

The same applies to Student Teacher versions of Office etc.

End of story.

THAT SUCKS! i am not paying full price for that flintstones OS. :Grimmace: :Grimmace: :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
I think the price they charge for Xp / Vista in the UK they make up for a few illegal installs here and there many times over

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.