After re-importing, all my RATINGS have disappeared!

Reaction score
I bought myself a nice little LaCie external drive (firewire) as my old Maxtor was starting to make a strange noise.

I deleted all the songs within iTunes (but not the original files) and once copied across from the Maxtor to the new LaCie, I re-imported them.
Thing is...all my ratings have disappeared!

Where are they stored and how do I get them back.
If they are stored on in my library on my iMac then that file would have been overwritten when I re-imported them wouldnt it?

Help?
Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You need to copy the whole iTunes Music folder. Not just the songs by themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yep, you probably overwrote the iTunes Library file that holds all that info.

OP
TangoCharlie
Reaction score
You need to copy the whole iTunes Music folder. Not just the songs by themselves.

I did just that!!

Apparently the info like ratings and date added are sored on a file based on the computed and no-where near the Music file which contains the songs!!
Ive lost all my ratings that took me months to build up!

Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I did just that!!

Apparently the info like ratings and date added are sored on a file based on the computed and no-where near the Music file which contains the songs!!
Ive lost all my ratings that took me months to build up!

Tc

Negative. The music ratings and last time played are all stored in the iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml files which are located in the iTunes folder. Copying the entire iTunes folder should of copied those files as well.

I believe the ratings were deleted because you said you deleted all the music files from iTunes. You should of just left them how it was. Deleting the items from inside iTunes probably deleted all the ratings and information along with it.

OP
TangoCharlie
Reaction score
Negative. The music ratings and last time played are all stored in the iTunes Library and iTunes Library.xml files which are located in the iTunes folder. Copying the entire iTunes folder should of copied those files as well.

I believe the ratings were deleted because you said you deleted all the music files from iTunes. You should of just left them how it was. Deleting the items from inside iTunes probably deleted all the ratings and information along with it.

My xml file is located in my library folder, then music, then itunes. Its miles away from the song files.

Tc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.