logout/shut down macbook question

Reaction score
Someone told me that it is better not to shut down my macbook because it isn't good for it, i don't remember what they said it did. but is it true? is it better for me to leave it in sleep mode or log out? does anyone know or have heard of something like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Nah. It's probably just that it's so easy to close the lid and put it to sleep (which actually works on a Mac) is so much quicker and so convenient, you don't find people really doing otherwise very much.

I turn off/restart mine about once every two weeks or so, or when Software Update requires it. I'll shut down to clean the keyboard, but other than that sleep is quicker and reliable.

It won't hurt it to restart/shut down/log out. Though it will free up on average about a gig of disk space every time you do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Apple officially recommends that you only shut down your computer if it is going to be more than three days before you use it again. They don't explicitly explain the rationale behind this.

Personally, I think it just makes the Mac that much more desirable in regards to boot times. Nothing like opening my MBP's lid and having it ready to go in ~1 second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
i have a macbook pro and the only time i shut it down it when i boot into vista or when software update requires it.
usually i just close the lid and put it to sleep. which walkerj truley said actually works on a mac. but i know people who have windows laptops and they shut there down everytime. shes an idiot like

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2GHz 2GB 120GB hard drive NVIDIA graphics with 128MB SDRAM
when you put it to sleep does the battery still drain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yes it does but EXTREMLY slowly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
In windows there is Hibernation & sleep.

Does a MacBook have both these functions? What is the diffrence and which one is best to use when you have finished working and dont want to use it any more or just for leaving it for 15min interverls?

Is this function nearly or as good with a windows laptop? I have never really used this function on my windows laptop before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.