Is the Power Mac G5 still a viable machine?

Reaction score
I want a Mac desktop to use for photo and video editing and some light graphic design. (nothing professional).

Is the Power Mac G5 still a nice machine if I find one used in nice shape? I currently run a Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2GB of RAM.

I run Adobe Lightroom, and the entire Creative Suite 3.

I want a Mac desktop, but I don't like the iMac and the Mac Pro is way too much money. So . . .is the Power Mac G5 now too outdated to even bother with? If it would be worth getting one, what specs would it need to have to run at least on par with my MacBook? And would it run Leopard well?

Thanks!
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
Well I hear the Core Duo iMacs were as powerful as PowerMac G5s were, so the '08 iMacs must be alot better...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Of course its a fine machine. Why wouldn't it be?
It isn't "outdated" or "obsolete" at all. If you can get your hands on one for a reasonable price, then go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It depends on the model. The earliest ones...say, the 2003 1.6GHz models...would be pretty painful. The Quads, on the other hand, are unmatched except for the Mac Pros.

All of them, however, have the advantage of greater expandability than any iMac or 'Book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 2GB RAM 250GB HD 20" Cinema Display
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have a dual 2.3 with 2.5 GB RAM. It runs Photoshop CS2 very well. In fact, at the time I bought it (and this is WHY I bought it) it was the fastest Photohop engine available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.