cant use the cut function!?!?!?

Reaction score
i have had my MBP for about a month and the cut functions is always grey under the edit menu. and if i use command x it dosnt do anything, how to i get the cut function to work!?!!?

revise, it works for type but not for folders or files, which i am trying to use it for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Ah ha, one of the things that always upsets me about OSX.

There is no "cut" for files and folders within the Finder, either Move or Copy :(

I guess this sets you up for some fail-safes, your data won't be gone if you were mid "Pasting" from a "cut" and the power dies...

File management within the same drive/partition:
1) The act of drag-drop alone will move the file. There is no need to use "command+drag"
2) If you want to duplicate the file. Then option+drag is what you want (as others have pointed out, a green circle with a "+" will be displayed under the curser).

File management across two different drives/partitions:
1) Drag-drop alone will duplicate the file onto the second drive by default. Option+drag not necessary.
2) If you wish to move the file (leaving no copy on the original drive), then command+drag comes into play. The green-circle with the "+" icon will disappear from beneath the cursor.

Both cases:
3) Making aliases is the same for each. alt+command+drag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 GHz
mac_finder_cut_paste_1.png

mac_finder_cut_paste_2.png

OnMyCommand
http://free.abracode.com/cmworkshop/

Use OMCEdit to see a giant list of commands.
Find Cut, and find Paste. And add them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.