More processor power or more RAM?

Reaction score
This is my first post here (and I don't even have a Mac yet [GASP]) so go easy on me will ya? haha

Anyway, I'm really looking into buying the new iMac, and have a question. I've heard about this a from a couple places I've looked, but never got a difinitive answer. I will use Windows XP SP2 with Bootcamp to run Windows games once I get the iMac. My question: For more power and better gaming performance (and overall performance for that matter), should I upgrade fromt the 2.0 ghz processor to the 2.4, or should I upgrade from 1 gb of RAM to 2? I've heard that added RAM will make a much more notable difference in overall speed and perforamce than an upgraded processor, and vice-versa.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
Welcome Duck Stab....I'm not even going to ask what the name is all about.

My advice.....buy the most computer you can afford. It largely depends on what you will be doing with the iMac but I would say your biggest benefit would from the ram upgrade.

Having said that, you could buy the faster processor and upgrade the ram your self far cheaper than Apple would sell it to you. From memory I save a bit over $100 by getting the ram myself.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly, get the most processor that you can afford. It'll be impossible to upgrade the processor down the road without buying another machine, but you can easily pop in some more RAM for pretty darn cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I agree wholeheartedly, get the most processor that you can afford. It'll be impossible to upgrade the processor down the road without buying another machine, but you can easily pop in some more RAM for pretty darn cheap.

Agreed. A processor will be tricky, if at all possible to upgrade (and expensive). A gig or two of RAM is fairly cheap (and only getting cheaper), and will be easy to add down the line.

OP
Duck_Stab
Reaction score
Thanks for the help you guys. Haha, my name is the name from an album by The Residents (a VERY weird band). I will most likely get the 2.4, then just upgrade the ram myself. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Thats what I did. I got the 2.3 then upgraded to 2GB ram myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.