• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

HD Camcorder & HD Burning & Videography?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am new to the world of Mac and video editing. I have worked with iMovie several times, and I just bought a MacBook and along with Final Cut Express. I do not even have my own video camera yet, but I am browsing the market. I am thinking about an HD camera from jvc. The GZ-HD3 hard drive camcoreder to be exact. This model comes out in October so I still have some time to make my decision. In your opinion is an HD camera necessary? I would really like the better quality, but then there is the problem of burning it. Because MacBooks do not have HD burners I would not be able to burn HD disks (Can you still burn DVDs with video in HD format?). So do you think that the HD feature would be a waste? Also, I have heard that JVC cameras do not work the best with Mac computers. Does anyone know if this rumor is true?
Like I said I am new to videography (but would like to get serious), so I am open to any suggestions for video camera's, editing advice, or anything else you would like to share. I would like a pretty good camera to get me started ($1500 max)

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The difference in quality between high def and standard dv video is amazing!

You can capture and export high def right here, right now.

Then in the future when you get a high def burner you can burn that exported high def video to high def dvd disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.