Question on multi core monitoring

Reaction score
Well I made the switch to Mac last weekend (gotta like tax free weekend:D ) and I only wish I had done it sooner. I absolutly love the OS X interface. Im typing from my MacBook right now.

Now my question is, does anyone know of a program I can use to monitor the usage of the two cores in my Core 2 Duo processor? Iv been googling and used forum search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Reaction score
You might start with the Activity Monitor. It's in the Utilities folder in Applications. At the bottom of the AM window if click CPU you'll get a dynamic chart of your cores' activity. Double clicking the chart will enlarge the chart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I use MenuMeters. It puts icons in your menu bar that can monitor CPU usage, network throughput, and ram usage as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
I don't see the need for these programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money

Now my question is, does anyone know of a program I can use to monitor the usage of the two cores in my Core 2 Duo processor? Iv been googling and used forum search but didn't find anything.

Thanks.

Congrats on the purchase ;)

You might want to take a look at iStat Pro. With this you can see the CPU usage when you check the Dashboard as well as a few other things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
The need is for when your machine is locking up and you don't know why...

A) Is/are my CPU/s pinned? = it's just busy working on something hard
B) Is the hard drive showing lots of activity?
b1) is ram maxed out as well? = swapping vram, buy more ram
C) ...etc...

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses everyone. MenuMeters was exactly what I was looking for.

The reason I wanted a monitor is that I wanted to observe the load distribution over multiple cores. I also have been using CPU monitors on my Windows machines to watch out for processes jumping up to 100% usage (usually svchost) and I like to know what item in my PC is causing a lockup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I find CPU meters to be invaluable. There are two simple and usually visible symptoms of things going awry on your machine - your CPU load is not what you expect and/or you have internet traffic that you were not expecting. MenuMeters lets you see both of these indicators (and many more too) in real time, unobtrusively tucked onto your Menu bar. Absolutely invaluable!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.