Setting Up FTP Server w/ Router

Reaction score
So I'm looking to set up an FTP server on my mac, and I was having some issues as there is a router. I was wondering how I go about setting it up being that I've got a router..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
FTP access is usually forwarded through port 80 and is port 80 by default in os x's ftp sharing I believe. Log into your routers firmware through safari. Pm me if you don't know how. Then forward port 80 to your mac's local ip address. Then any ftp client you connect through you just enter your external ip + the port so on your connecting client the connect should look like
xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:80 (x.x.x.x being your external ip)

If you don't know your external ip go to www.whatsmyip.org

OP
M
Reaction score
ok using the routers firmware i forwarded port 80 to my mac's local ip.

so wen i went to another computer -- a windows machine in the web browser i typed ftp://(router ip):80

im assuming the router ip is the ip u get from a site like whatismyip.com

not sure what im doing wrong

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Sorry I was wrong I just checked. If your using OSX sharing to share out an FTP you must share on port 21, so its port 21 you must forward.

If the computer your connecting from is on the same network you do not need to forward a port.

2nd Make sure your Mac's Firewall if enabled has port 21 open as well.
Navigate to syspref>sharing>firewall tab...then make sure the ftpaccess is checkmarked.

Besides that I wouldn't use the browser, I would use an ftp client...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.