Alright, you guys gotta help me (iTunes, file transfer, etc.)

Reaction score
i'm here, there, everywhere i can't be seen i'm al
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
So I just got a 500gb harddrive.

When I switched to my macbook, all of my music was on my old computer. I downloaded some new stuff to my macbook and then transferred misc. stuff from my old computer to the macbook via flash drive. Now, All the music that was on my mac hard drive I put on the external and deleted. I'm going to also put all of the music from my other computer on the hdd so I can save space on my macbook hd for important things.

How do I transfer this stuff to my new hdd so that iTunes will play all the existing music in the library as it normally would instead of adding new stuff? What about saving my album art and stuff? Basically I want iTunes to play my music from my hdd instead of off of my macbook hd. is there anyway to not have all my darn music copied into that retarded itunes "music" folder? i mean, that makes no sense...why have 2 copies of the same thing just so iTunes can play it? PLEASE help.

Reaction score
I believe you should just be able to remove your itunes library and delete it, ie, go into iTunes, select all and delete (it won't delete any music thats not in your itunes music library, since its on your ext. hd it wont delete it, dont worry). After that, go to file/import files from and then select the folder on your ext. hd and then let it import it. Everytime you want to listen to your music you're going to need the hd plugged in though.

OP
immaculate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
I believe you should just be able to remove your itunes library and delete it, ie, go into iTunes, select all and delete (it won't delete any music thats not in your itunes music library, since its on your ext. hd it wont delete it, dont worry). After that, go to file/import files from and then select the folder on your ext. hd and then let it import it. Everytime you want to listen to your music you're going to need the hd plugged in though.

perfect. i guess i'll have to re do all the album art and stuff again
oh well

also i kinda like to do it album by album so its easy to sort/fix tagging errors

Reaction score
just get iTunes to search for album art. that will save alot of time but they don't have everything so some you will need to do manually. Theres a program that can search for album artwork from the net, it's called Corripio i believe. It will give multiple album artwork if it can find more than one and you can select which one you want to use. It also finds lyrics for songs too. Also, any art that is attached to the files ID3 tag will be taken along with it so they will already appear.

OP
immaculate
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo
so when i use shift+cmd+o to import, i can only import single mp3's at a time, or if i'm lucky an m3u. how can i import a whole folder without copying everything over to my macbook hd?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.