Powerbook won't read DVD-R??

L

lar5one

I am doing a job for a client and he hands me the material, pictures etc, on a burned dvd... I pop it into my PB and it just ejects it. Every time I put it in, it comes right back out.

So to solve this I had to get out my old school Pentium 3 laptop and it reads the dvd with no problems.

This can't be for real...can't the powerbooks that doesn't have superdrives read other peoples dvd's?

OP
C

cakman2

I had the same problem with a Van Halen CD, it was just a standard copy. But it kept spitting it out. I had to use my PC to burn it and then email the whole cd to my Mac. pain in the ass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
cakman2 said:
I had to use my PC to burn it and then email the whole cd to my Mac.

***?? How did u manage to email a whole cd? :confused: what email handles such heavy attachments? Eager to know...

OP
C

chris041067

Strider said:
***?? How did u manage to email a whole cd? :confused: what email handles such heavy attachments? Eager to know...

ive got an account at Pacbell, not free though, it came with the DSL service. I get about 50 megs of space for mail. I could easily email a whole cd in mp3 format with that...or one track at a time with another format...

OP
P

PowerbookG417

first of all you maybe have 50 megs or space but the server will time out before gettin that whole song there
- you gotta check the dvd find out what kind it is..the macs will only read the -dvd's not the +'s so that maybe a problem as well
second of all make sure its clean and then just keep putting it in..it will eventually read it...what make of disc is it too

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Hmm... were the CD/DVD-R's burnt so the Mac can read them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
My POP3 account... unlimited!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
lar5one said:
I am doing a job for a client and he hands me the material, pictures etc, on a burned dvd... I pop it into my PB and it just ejects it. Every time I put it in, it comes right back out.

So to solve this I had to get out my old school Pentium 3 laptop and it reads the dvd with no problems.

This can't be for real...can't the powerbooks that doesn't have superdrives read other peoples dvd's?

The PB's internal drive can read most formats, even those created on other peoples machines. I think, maybe your client's DVD+R, not a DVD-R. I don;t think the PB's internal drive can read DVD+R's yet. Kinda explains why it's ejecting it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
If you have Panther, it should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.
hype.it said:
The PB's internal drive can read most formats, even those created on other peoples machines. I think, maybe your client's DVD+R, not a DVD-R. I don;t think the PB's internal drive can read DVD+R's yet. Kinda explains why it's ejecting it out.

My Powerbook reads dvd+r/rw's fine and plays movies from them too without any problems. I do know that some dvd-r's are different from others, for example, when i was burning dvd's on my old laptop, i used some Mirror Platinum's and the guy who sold them me gave me five sample blank dvd's to try. The sample ones were made by Ritek, which are probably the best out there, but every single one didnt burn well, five wasted discs while the mirror's were faultless. I'm using them with my powerbook, they burn pretty well and cheap at the price too.

OP
S

sonnylee

If the person used native Windows XP system to burn discs, i.e., burns it directly from explorer, then MAC will NOT be able to read it. This is on purpose.

Make sure the person is using some third-party software, i.e. Easy CD Creator or NERO, to burn these discs for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Strange. I burn CD-RW's at school right in Windows Explorer, bring them home and they work fine in my Mac.

OP
C

chamkila911

sorry to bring up a anciet topic but i have the same problem does someone have the fix?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.