Help, disk stuck and thinkin I need a new DVD drive..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
Hello fellow Mac users. My brother is decided to get rid of his old Powerbook G4 (12 inch I believe, it has the disk loader on the right side). But, I guess he got a disk stuck in the drive. We have tried everything to get the little sucker out of there, but nothing works. So now I am thinking either:

A. Take the laptop apart (yikes) and try and get the drive apart to remove the disk

or

B. Take the laptop apart (yikes) and try and just replace the drive.

Are there any specifications you have to meet when selecting a new drive? Does it have to be the same model? Will you install any software?

Any advice/tips appreciated, thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
i'm not sure if this will work on your power book but i assume it will... try restarting the machine and i think you hold the apple key down, correct me if i'm wrong while it's restarting and that should eject the cd...

Reaction score
Try holding down the mouse button while powering up. If that doesn't work I suggest that you tale it to an Apple store and get it fixed if you still have Apple Care on the machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try holding down the mouse button while powering up. If that doesn't work I suggest that you tale it to an Apple store and get it fixed if you still have Apple Care on the machine.

Correct, it's the mouse button.

Is this a Full Sized CD or one of the Mini CD's? Reason I ask is many try to put the mini cd's in slot load drives and they get stuck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.