Possibly switching... few q's (and don't worry I read the FAQs!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
120 GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz Core2Duo, white MB
Background:
I currently have a 6 year old PC that has given me many problems in the past - just to give you an idea I'm on my third replaced hard drive. This spring it gave me problems again, so the Geek Squad replaced the hard drive and upon them telling me they can't retrieve my data from the old hard drive - but they could try for 90 bucks - I took it to a 'computer guy' my boyfriend uses. He was immediately able to get everything off the old drive and onto my external for a mere $20 for his time, which I was glad to pay. It was at that point I considered taking the plunge to a Mac.

My computer is fixed and had been working fine, but all of a sudden I just got in the mood again to want to get the Macbook. I want a laptop for the portability. I don't want Vista, so I've been looking into Macbooks extensively recently. But I'm very indecisive and can't make up my mind what to do. Here are my concerns:

1- The biggest thing right now is the graphics card. I've read online as well as talked to Mac owners and I know that these graphics cards are just not what they should be for this computer. I definitely am not a 'gamer', but there are a few games I like to play -old school Zoo Tycoon (2D), Sims 2, and I just bought Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 which actually gives me an error and refuses to load on my pc because my graphics card is not good enough. I want to play these in BootCamp - I've heard some people can't play Sims 2 very well, and others who say it runs perfectly fine for them, but I don't know if they were playing through BootCamp or using the Mac version. Considering I can't play Sims 2 on my computer now because it runs VERY slow (I'm talking one frame per a few seconds), as long as it runs on the Macbook I'd be satisfied, even if the graphics were on the low setting. I worry that I'll get the Macbook now, and then all of a sudden they'll refresh them and put a better card in. But since I don't know if/when that might happen, I hate to wait. And from what I have heard, because this is an integrated graphics card, that means I can't even buy a new one and upgrade it down the road? And furthermore, if Apple did upgrade the graphics card in the Macbooks down the road, would that increase their price much?

2-Leopard. I'm not concerned with necessarily having the latest and greatest OS (I was like that with Windows too), but the fact that BootCamp is beta now but will be included on Leopard (this is what I hear, I'm not really sure if I'm right), is this a good reason to wait until Leopard comes out? Will you have to pay for BootCamp beta when the real version comes out?

I'd go out and buy the Macbook today if I didn't have these to reasons to possibly wait. The only thing I'd rely on windows for are those few games, and really I don't see them as a huge reason to get another PC over a Mac. And the reason I'd run them in bootcamp is because I already own them and prefer not to spend more money on trying to buy the Mac versions, especially Sims 2, in which the first copy I had someone lost disc 1, so I had to buy a second copy.
If you have any input/suggestions/answers on whether I should go for it now or wait until an upgrade/Leopard please let me know, I want to make the right decision! Thank you,
Alicia

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
the macbooks are fine for what you are wanting to do, apple even says that it can run it on thier gaming website: http://www.apple.com/games/hardware/

and personally i am waiting for leopard before i get a mac because i want to open it up and start my mac clock at leopard...but thats just because i want to :).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply AND the link - I hadn't come across that in my searching. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
yeah, its a secret that no one knows about :). i don't really even know how i found it 0_o. i think it's still under construction though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah so.... I went out last night and bought it. :) I was up until 11pm playing with it, pretty late for my 5am wake up call. I'm at work now and super excited to get back to playing with it!
I can't help it, I'm impatient!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Yeah so.... I went out last night and bought it. :) I was up until 11pm playing with it, pretty late for my 5am wake up call. I'm at work now and super excited to get back to playing with it!
I can't help it, I'm impatient!

Congratulations on your Mac purchase. What Color/Specs did you get? :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the Macbook, white, 1gb, 2.16ghz, 120 gb hard drive. <3
still trying to learn the ropes though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.