Question regarding scrolling through blend modes

Reaction score
Within Photoshop, on my PC, I can scroll through blending modes with my up/down arrow keys, to see their effects in real time. I work for a company that is Mac-based. I can't stand Macs, but that's besides the point.

My questions is, not only, how do I get to do that? But, how can I configure OS X to scroll through menu options with the arrow keys, across the board of the entire OS? Even if I loved everything else about Macs (which I don't) this inconvenience would keep me from converting. This aspect of the OS is infinitely frustrating.

I constantly use my arrow keys to scroll through things like "Don't Save - Save - Cancel" and menus of that ilk, on a PC. Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
I don't think it is possible to scroll through blending modes and see the effect live in photoshop on the mac, I just tried and nothing seemed to work. However for the rest of the OS when a menu comes up you use the command key and the corresponding letter to select an option. So if a menu came up with

"Save"
"Don't Save"
"Cancel"
"Move to Trash"

You would use CMND+S to choose "Save" or CMND+D for "Don't Save" or CMND M for "Move to Trash". However in Photoshop you don't need to use the command key, just selecting the letter works, and I much prefer the way the Mac handles hotkeys over the PC. You can hold down the CMND key constantly and just run through a sequence of keys to achieve a line of actions. For example I often use CMND+C+W+D+V which copies a selection in photoshop, then closes the document choosing don't save then pastes it into the next document I have open. I don't think this is possible using the CTRL key on PC's, where you'd have to repress CTRL for each seperate key in a sequence.

I think you just need to spend some time getting used to a different style of working, which the Mac offers and is a lot smoother and quicker once you understand how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I think you just need to spend some time getting used to a different style of working, which the Mac offers and is a lot smoother and quicker once you understand how.

Exactly right. If you expect one OS to be just like the next, there's no point in having more than one to begin with.

I suppose I can understand where Flannery is coming from though. If I had to use windows at work (and being a designer, I'm sure I won't any time soon :D) I'd consider finding another job!

Sure, macs aren't for everyone, but for most places that use photoshop, mac is standard, and I'm yet to find a design studio that doesn't use mac.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do that globally for mac. I've noticed that it often will allow you to use arrow keys when selecting from drop down menus in Safari, once you've clicked it that is. It may not be possible in photoshop.

With more experience though, you'll find you won't need to scroll through ALL of them, as you'll soon be able to roughly predict the appearance of the more commonly used ones, and it'll actually be quicker to simply select the one you want, and not do a trial and error until you find something that works.

I don't really see it as a draw back for mac. Much like windows users complaining about right clicking on macs, without realising how little you actually need to use them. It's not a fault, it's just simplified. Your workflow controls the OS, not the other way round.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Are you referring to the blend modes for layers e.g. multiply, overlay etc?

Make sure you have the marquee tool selected and press control +/-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7, MBP 13", iPad 4, iPhone 5, iPod Classic, Time Capsule, Apple TV, etc.
Are you referring to the blend modes for layers e.g. multiply, overlay etc?

Make sure you have the marquee tool selected and press control +/-

Fair play t'ya, that worked a treat, it's been bugging me for ages. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.