Feedback on SMC Firmware Update v1.1

Reaction score
Put this in yesterday; as advertised, the fans ran full-speed during the restart, then slowed down to normal. This morning, I find that if I leave the computer in sleep for awhile, when I wake it up, the fans are loud (not full-speed loud, but considerably louder than usual) for about a minute, then gradually slow down to normal speed. Anyone else notice this? I wonder if Apple will leave things like this or come up with another update?

Reaction score
Installed SMC update to my MacPro yesterday... Same results you had. I'm not liking the higher fan speed at startup. Hopefully Apple will correct that.

OP
D
Reaction score
I see this update is no longer shown at Apple Downloads- Firmware and Hardware, so they may or may not be planning on revising it. For now, I am dealing with this by using Shut Down, instead of Sleep, when I walk away from the computer. My Mac Pro can go from pushing the button on the front panel to the display of the desktop in only 15 seconds, so I can get restarted reasonably quickly when I want to work at the MP again. When I restart from Shut Down, the fans do not roar. Perhaps it was felt to be advisable to full-speed the fans for awhile when coming out of sleep, but, for me, at least, the noise spoils the elegance of the MP.

I have also seen (on other discussion forums) that some owners have had USB problems after applying this update, but I have not experienced this.

Apparently, once you have updated the firmware, it is essentially impossible to go back to an earlier version. If it could be done, I would remove this update in a heartbeat.

M

MacHeadCase

Are you still covered under Apple Care? I would give them a call. Even if they only offer something completely extreme as a re-install (which you wouldn't have to do), it would be good they get feedback so that Apple could work on a Firmware update that would get you guys back to normal again.

Or maybe you could find a way to let them know about it on the Apple Contact Us webpage.

OP
D
Reaction score
No, I don't have Apple Care; I purchased a 5-year warranty at Fry's Electronics (where I bought my Mac Pro) instead. I see that Apple has a phone number for their Software Upgrade Center, but I'm not sure if this center is involved with firmware updates. If I get a chance, I will call and see what they say. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see any email address on the contact page you mentioned where I could provide feedback on this new firmware.

OP
D
Reaction score
Searching further, I did manage to locate a web page for Mac Pro Feedback. As they say, they will not respond personally to comments posted there, but, hopefully, my comments will get passed on to someone who can/will act upon them. If they do come up with another version of the SMC firmware, I have no idea how long it will take. Could be today, could take several months. In the meantime, I will not use Sleep mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.