lombard freezes when inserting pcmcia-firewirecard

Reaction score
hi
I ve got a lombard g3 333 MHz w/ 256 megs RAM, running on X.3.9 which I havent used for like six months but which i want to reactivate now. I ve got a noname IEEE1394 pcmcia card which has always worked just fine (until very recently), I needed it for my 1st gen. ipod. Everything else (cept for the batterie) is working just fine, no problems whatsoever but when I now insert the card the whole computer just freezes immediatly. when I pull it out again, everything's back to normal and the pcmcia symbol appears in the menu (but nothing happens when I click it, obviously, as there is no card inserted anymore).
now comes the funny bit: when I reinsert it, the computer freezes again but if I dont pull it out the whole thing just shuts down or, well, turns the power off.
the computer freezes (and sometimes gets a kernelpanic) also when the card is inserted during any segment of the startup-process and it doesn't go past the grey screen w/ the dark grey apple logo when inserted before startup.
now, has anyone got an idea what might cause this strange behaviour? i'd appreciate every kind of help....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.