need some free music production software

Reaction score
I'm trying to get hold of some Pro-tools-esque software for editing, looping, and effect-ifying samples so I can be a superstar DJ and get rich. A virtual drum machine and synthesiser would be nice as well. Oh, and it would be good if it was gratis cos I'm a tight get. It's not asking too much is it?

I've been using garageband but it's limited with regards to editing analogue samples.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Garageband will do this. Was it included when you bought your Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yep. if you;ve got ilife 06 + then you can use garage band.

OP
M
Reaction score
hmm, yeah but there's a few things garageband can't do, like change the pitch or tempo of mp3s. Or can it?

Also garageband does'nt have a synthesiser, just loops.

cheers

Reaction score
Ableton live great, but a little pricey for someone who wants a freebie!

The http://www.kvraudio.com site is a popular resource that keeps track of the different releases available, along with their prices if they have them.

I'm not to sure what's available for macs (just moved over from windows and am using bootcamp) but if you search the plugin database and use "quick searches" for "hosts" you may find something palatable.
They also track plugins too, so you might be able to find some free effects of the types you want.

Reaction score
hmm, yeah but there's a few things garageband can't do, like change the pitch or tempo of mp3s. Or can it?

Also garageband does'nt have a synthesiser, just loops.

cheers

Reaction score
Garageband indeed has a sythesisser as weel as various other instruments. You can compose music directly from the keyboard or buy an inexpensive MIDI controller. I just bought my 2nd MIDI controller, the M-Audio Oxygen 2 25 key keyboard. Nice and small, has 2 octaves with the capability to move up or down a number of octaves. It comes with Ableton Lite 6. The dials and buttons on the keyboard work to change settings and also to stop and start recording from within your application right from the keyboard. No need to grab a mouse. Definitely great when playing live.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Audacity is a great tool to use, it's free, and gives as many tools as Adobe Audition does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Garageband's synth can't touch something that would normally come with a pay for program...

Even the EX synth in Logic Express has GB beat. It can stretch samples, cut out samples from where ever and incorporate them into your library of samples that already come with.

Good stuff...Plus I'm kind of sure that GB has as great of capability when it comes to midi options...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.