In China. New Macbook. Sorta...

Reaction score
Hi. First post. I'm in China. I found an Apple reseller in the town I'm in (about 6 hours south of Beijing) and decided to buy a Macbook two days ago.

It's a 2nd gen. Specs: 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo (base model) for 9,500 RMB, which is USD $1,256. (There is an extra "import tax", apparently, even though these machines are actually made in China. Whatever.)

I set the deal up last week, and also sorted out 2 x 1GB Kingston sticks. Those cost me 650 RMB, or USD $85.

I picked up the Macbook this Tuesday, and had the fellow in the shop insert my new ram. Then, we booted up, and he proceeded to load me up with all the right software, Chinese style -- CS3 Suite, Final Cut Pro, etc.

He loaded English versions off his iPod. Heh.

Anyway, as CS3 was installing, I tooled around, and came to notice that there was no Bluetooth.

Not installed!

Buddy doesn't have any other Macbooks onhand except his demo model. He says he'll have to ship the machine to Beijing to have the Bluetooth installed, and then shipped back to me.

I tell him to instead tell Beijing to keep my flawed machine and send me the current, 3rd gen. base model. For that, I'll have to pay about $100 US extra.

He tells me he's not sure how this matter will proceed. He asks me to give him a few days to sort out the problem. He then gives me the store's demo model to take home with me, until whatever...

So, that's my story. I have no idea what will transpire, but I'm hoping for the best.

I've been using the store's demo Macbook for two days now. I have owned Powerbooks in the past, most recently a 12" 867MHz Powerbook.

Speed
I decided not to install my 2GB Ram into the loaner machine, just to see how it feels at 512MB. Speeds are good. There's a bit of a lag when using Photoshop CS and MS Word (both use Rosetta, so it's understandable, given the RAM).

Physicalities
The loaner was a bit dirty. This morning, I gave it a serious rubdown with a wet cloth and a speck of dishwasher liquid.

As this won't be my computer for long, I'm not worried about scratches or whatever. So I gave the palmrests and keys a serious scrub.

Maaaan, the result: no scratches and an absolutely goregeous white. :D

Impressions thus far
This is a very solid machine. It seems not fragile in the least. The keyboard has a good feel. The plastic does as well, and seems easy to keep clean.

I'm a smoker, so yellowing is an issue. Given how clean this morning's rubdown worked, I'm not as concerned as I was before I purchased. I was contemplating Macstyles, but not so much after having seen the quality of the plastic.

Rating: 4/5. Apple loses one point for fudging my Bluetooth.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb
nice review, shame about the bluetooth experience...i can assure you it wont have been apples fault that the bluetooth was missing

impressed at the friendliness of that reseller tbh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic
Maybe the person before thought they would be smart and take the bluetooth module out. I totally feel your pain... however it was good of them to dish you out the demo model for the time being.

Great review anyway, keep us posted

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
nice. at least you can trust him as he gave u the demo model for the time being.

OP
N
Reaction score
Well, a week later, here's what went down:

My 2nd gen base model Mac (new, by the way, in a sealed box) had some faulty bluetooth parts or something.

Dudes told me if I paid 1000 RMB extra, they'd give me the 3rd gen base model (2.0 GHz, 80GB HD). They said if I was game, they had a box for me to pick up this morning. (The other option was to wait "at least a week" to have my purchsed machine fiddled with. :Oops: )

I decided to pay the extra cash (whatever). I picked up my new machine this morning. I got the boys to load me up with software (CS3 and Final Cut Pro, basically), insert my 2GB Kingston RAM, and apply a Moshi palmrest.

Immediate impressions:

1. This 3rd gen looks the same, but feels more solid. The touch of the plastic has a crisper feel.

2. The speed boost (with 2GB installed, compared to the 1.83GHz w. 512mb RAM) is sick. Just sick. :D

3. The Moshi palmrest looks and feels bloody awesome.

Right now, I'm stoked!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.