Need to go Wireless (complete n00b)

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help on the basic equipment I need to go wireless in my house.

Can anyone link me to the hardware I need (I don't have an airport card) because I have no idea where to start.

Would really appreciate some help.

David

EDIT: Ok, I'm thinking Airport Extreme is what I need. To use it do I need to also purchase an airport card/any other routers etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
what kind of mac do you have.. macbook, macbook pro, imac or mac mini? All macbook's, macbook pro's and imac's come with airport... you can also use any router with wireless capabilities to achieve wireless in your house...

OP
D
Reaction score
I have a Mac OSX 10.3.9 PowerPC G4. I'm not sure if I need an airport card or an airport extreme card. Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen
this may be the same problem i might have when i get my brother an iBook g4...does it come with a wireless card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
whoever needs to find out if you have an airport installed in your computer, please go to finder > applications > utilities > system profiler and find on the left under network "Airport Card." If it is not listed there then your machine has one. To the OP, what PowerPC G4? Is it a Powermac, Powerbook, iBook, Mac Mini, etc... There could be many options. Anyway, under system profiler if you have an airport card listed there then your system has one installed. If thats the case then you would need some type of wireless router. I currently have Lynksys WRT54G as my wireless connection and also an airport express to stream music. Someday I plan on switching out the linksys for an Airport Extreme so I can use the express to "extend" the network and be connected to internet when streaming music...

OP
D
Reaction score
It's PowerPC. Can you tell me which airport/extreme card I should get?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What are the exact specifications for your machine?
Just saying PowerPC won't help us.

Is it an eMac?, iMac?, Power Mac?, mini?, iBook, PowerBook?
What processor speed?
When did you get it (how old is it)?

Basically, we will need more details about the machine.
If you could, go to where it says "About This Mac" from the Apple menu and click it. Then when you see the window pop up, on your keyboard hit:
Command (Apple key) + Shift + 4
When you see the crosshairs, hit the spacebar and they turn into a camera icon. Hover that over the window and click.
Then you will have a screenshot of just that little window so you can attach it to a post when you reply here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Or for a little cheaper go to best buy and pickup a USB wifi adapter that supports apple. Install and use that.

Then get any standard wireless router to connect to your cable/dsl modem if it isn't wifi capable already.

Belkin and Dlink I believe officially support macs.

Good luck.

Btw powerpc G4 is just the type of processor your comptuer uses, not the model of the computer.

The wireless networking FAQ is a good place to start!!!...CLICK HERE TO LINK TO WIFI NETWORKING FAQ

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks! So if i bought an airport extreme card and an airport extreme base station I would be all set to go?

EDIT: What if I use an Airport extreme card and (for example) a belkin router?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Yes you can do this. Some Belkin products officially support apple. Look for ones w/ official support.

Reaction score
Hi I'm also new to wireless networking for Mac.

I have a power PC 1.8Ghz DP with Tiger 10.4.10 and thinking of getting a new Macbook (the current model) and just wondering what would be the best and cheapest way to create a wireless network around the house.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle
wireless and macbook

I recently set up a wireless network after my wife got a new white 13" macbook.

I just bought a wireless router, I think it's a Netgear router (a lot more inexpensive than the extreme base station) and attached it to my cable modem.

The macbook picked up the signal immediately. The most difficult part - and it wasn't really too hard -- was setting up the security settings on the network. I did that because I didn't want other folks using my wireless signal.

good luck

OP
D
Reaction score
If I buy...

1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000AT9MB/

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MSTY48/

Will I be able to go wireless with my OSX 10.3.9 Power PC G4 iMac (no card already included)??

2) Also are there any cheaper alternatives (please can you link me because I want to buy the right stuff as I've been putting off going wireless for ages!)

For example, if I buy the card linked above with something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000TZ8Z8/ will it all work ok without buying anything else?

Thanks so much for help I really appreciate it. I'm desperate to get this to work!

Reaction score
If you have broadband via cable the Airport Base Station is perfect. If you have broadband over your phone line (ADSL) then use the Netgear. The Airport Base Station doesn't have an ADSL modem in it so you'd need another product with it to use with ADSL. Beware the Netgear coverage is nowhere near as good as the Airport Base Station.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.