How can I connect my MBP to my TV?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Sorry if this has been covered already in another thread. Just did a search and couldn't see anything immediately obvious, other than threads started by people who had already successfully connected their notebooks to their TV sets.

I'm just looking to find out if it is possible for me to connect my MBP to my TV so I can watch movie files etc on my TV screen. I don't have a fancy TV or anything, it's just a regular old TV set. (It's widescreen and it's made by BEKO but other than that I have no idea about its technical specifications.) I'm not even sure to be honest what the DVI to VGA adapter that was included with my MBP is for, although it won't fit into any port on my TV.

So do you need some kind of fancy hi-tech TV to do this with?

Any ideas? I can't really find any decent tutorials online either.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
try getting a dvi to rca adapter and use the red yellow and white ports on the back of your tv or get a rca to scart one and use the dvi to rca then a rca to scart if you have that.

or dvi to s-video if you have that.

what ports do you have?

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hi, thanks for your reply. Well I just have SCART ports as far as I'm aware. I have a Nintendo Wii and it is connected through a SCART adapter, which has ports for the red, yellow and white cables that come from the Wii. Is the quality affected by using adapters etc, do you know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Pretty sure the Apple Store sells a DVI to S-Video adapter. I don't know if the European stores sell a DVI to SCART connector. If not, then an S-Video to SCART should be available...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.