• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Join the Mac-Forums Folding Team!

M

modenaf1

I would like to invite you to join our F@H team because it puts your computer to work when you are not using it to help save peoples lives.

Millions of people die of Parkinson's, Alzheimers, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and and even many cancers that result from protein misfolding and there is something you can do about that: FOLD

We have our very own folding team and we need your help. Here you can fold to save lives and also fold for great competition between teams as they are probably the best way to get the news out about folding.

What is Folding@Home???

FAH is a distributed computing project, the purpose of which is to learn how proteins fold and misfold. By breaking down the process by which proteins are created we can find out what causes them to miscreate or misfold. The hope is that this will lead to future research that can help scientists come up with better treatments/cures for many of todays common ailments. But the most important part of the project is putting together an effective model of how to fold and unfold proteins with supercomputer power.

This is an extremely complicated process that requires awesome amounts of computing power that was virtually unattainable prior to the start of this project. This project harnesses the power of thousands of individual PC's connected to the internet by breaking down the necessary work and allowing those individual computers to work on small pieces of information and then returning the calculated results to stanford university. Once the work is done and returned your computer will automatically get fresh data to calculate. The work is then piece back together at Stanford university. There are results and more information posted on the at Folding@Home Website

We are TEAM "mac-forums" and if you would like help setting up the client you only need to ask and there will be several people ready to help. For more info on the project please follow this link

Folding @ Home only uses your extra, currently wasted CPU cycles! So... why not save lives with them and help out TEAM "Mac-Forums"….this will not slow down your computer!!!

How can I help, you talked me into it??

Great, here's how you can help:

1. Download Increase which is a nice GUI manager for the F@H client. It makes folding easy.

2. Go into Increase's prefs and enter your user name and the Mac-Forums team number which is 37954

3. Start folding!

4. Add a link in your signature to this thread to help us get more members folding.

5. Chat about your progress, ask questions about folding, or gloat about how well you're doing here in this thread.

Visit this link for great tips on Increase settings depending on what type of Mac you have to get the most out of your folding.

-=Quick Links=-
- Our Team Site That's our team statistic page which shows the points and your rank within our team.
- Stanford's Folding Info Page
- Stanfords Stats

Special thanks to coach_z for writing the original version of this post.

======ignore below=======
First off, if you guys here already have a F@H team, then my apologies.

Anyway, I am from www.ocforums.com, and found this forum via the iNET interactive bar at the top of our site (and yours too!) . I was wondering if anyone would like to join our F@H team and create a MacForums subteam.

Some of those links might be inoperative, but ill give everyone the proper links in just a bit.

I'll tell a llittle about folding and why I and most members of our site do it.

Folding@Home is a DC (distributed computing) program that can be run on Windows, MacOS, and Linux. It is a study being done by Stanford University to hopefully find a cure to many diseases that are caused by protein misfolds. Most of us run this program to find a cure and partly for the stats. The way it works is that you get the program, input your username and team number, and it will connect to the Folding at Home assignment servers and download a work unit (WU), then your computer processes this WU (protein) to see how it folds. Then it sends it back in and gives your username and team points for that work unit. Overclockers.com/ocforums.com's team number 32 has reached a position of 3rd place in the statistics and could definatly use some help to get higher!

If anyone would like to fold, here is what I recomend, your forum could create a subteam by just making the username "macforums" or whatever you want. So then your points could be viewed as a subteam within our team, and honestly, it would help out our points, yet you could still see yours as a subteam. I have a feeling that if this works, and you guys do decide to have a subteam, you would mostly be ranked pretty high out of all the users in our team becuase you would be an entire forum under one name.

Now, stats are some fun, freindly competition, but that is not all that folding is about, it is mostly for the reasearch, if you guys want to fold, but not be associated with us, thats fine, but it would still be nice to see more people aiding medicle reasearch. Who knows...it could save your own life further down the road.

Some links here:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html
Where you can download F@H for Windows, Macintosh, or Linux.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
The folding site and variouse info on the project.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teamstats
The statistics. That's us in 3rd place. If you guys form a subteam lets say for example called MacForums, you would see it within our team. BTW, if you do decide to fold, and in a subteam of us, I would GLADLY switch all of my computers over to your subteam to get it started off :) .

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=231247
Here is a Folding Custom install guide, installers, installers that install on an entire network, etc. I think these only work with Windows though... :eek: Sorry mac users :(.

http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
That is our Folding forum. Feel free to just drop in an say hi! We always welcome new users. There is some info on folding usually posted in there too.

http://www.netbetty.com/uberBuzzardFAHinstall.zip
If you have any PC freinds, this is absolutely the best installer you could get.

Well, I would like to see if anyone has any comments or questions or if you want me to just get the **** out of here and never bother you again. I do hope most of you will be interested, in which case, go ahead and post in this thread!

OP
M

modenaf1

No one is interested in showing off their computers awsome folding power? Or saving lives? Or having an official Mac-Forums folding sub-team?

BTW, the folding client is completely unnoticeable. For example, if your computer sits doing nothing, like when you are currently reading this...your CPU is under 0 percent load. Lets say you open up Quicktime and your CPU is under 20 percent load. The other 80 is just idle and doing nothing. When folding, it uses that other 80 percent to predict how proteins fold and misfold. If what you are doing uses up 100 percent of the CPU, folding backs off and uses 0. It has a 0 performance decrease. I dont even bother to turn it off when benchmarking my computer!

Is it safe to run this? I have been running my 40 dollar overclocked Athlon with crappy cooling non-stop for over a year with folding. I have not even seen a slight stability decrease. That means, that this program has not damaged my CPU by putting it under load for over a year.

Does anyone have questions or reasons why they do or do not want to fold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It may be helpful to post some results of the project to date to increase incentive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Go ahead and create us as a subteam from you guys and what our number is so that we can stick it into the client.

OP
N

Nanuq

Unfortunately there is no way create a real sub-team. You will fold for ocforums.com... About all you can do is everyone from Mac-Forums.com would put something like [MacForums] or [MF] in front of their chosen folding nick.

I would suggest joining a mac team to support the mac community. There are many great Mac teams. Some of them are Team MacOSX, MacRumors.com, Team MacAddict, Team MacNN and my newly formed team, Team PowerMacUnited. [I am currently seeking team members, and people who are willing to help create a great community for the team.]

Feel free to search out the various teams and join who you want, joining any team will benefit the cause.

Good luck, and happy folding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok everyone. our team number is 37954, go ahead and download the client and let's get going on this! If you do decide to do it, please post here and let us know :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kewl! My progress on my first protein is only 17% done.. Im getting there though! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok everyone.. Im number one in our team right now.. actually.. wait.. Im the only one on our team! Where is everyone? *sniff, sniff*

OP
V

vuschejan

Murlyn said:
Ok everyone.. Im number one in our team right now.. actually.. wait.. Im the only one on our team! Where is everyone? *sniff, sniff*

Im interested... although im not exactly sure how to start.

OP
V

vuschejan

vuschejan said:
Im interested... although im not exactly sure how to start.

Oh nm my unintelligence suprises me i missed the part that said CLIENT IS HERE lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im still first I see.. I kind of like it that way *hehe* MacAddikt is there also, and then of course my good friend Ben over at eshox.com, great ecommerce package by the way, is in second.. still only three people that have finished a unit so far. I am sure vuschejan is almost there with his first unit.. once you finish you'll show up on our stats page! Where is everyone else though? Come on people!

OP
I

iMacaholic

Keep up the fold guys! Hey if you want more information to disseminate to people about folding, here is a link to the article featured at Apple.com. Tell all your family, friends, and co-workers! Get them on board to help with this wonderful project! Feel free to stop by Team MacOS X and check out our forums. Lots of good links and information to help get people up and running in an instant! Have fun with it! Fold on!

Folding@home feature on Apple.com

OP
M

modenaf1

Yay!!! :D :D

I am so glad you guys are folding. W000000000t!! Just to anyone who reads this thread, please fold!

I apologize for not returning to this thread sooner, I was out of town.

As for someone asking what the results of this project is so far, well, from my understanding, this is one of those projects that you really don't know until the last peices of the puzzle have been put together. ;)

Thanks guys! I think I might help out your team and fold for it just a little ;)

Happy Folding! :)
f1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We would sure welcome it! :) Currently there are 3 of us folding, MacAddikt, my friend from eshox.com, and myself.. and that's it! Come on people of Mac-Forums, let's be a team and everyone fold for our team! :)

OP
M

modenaf1

I threw my AMD1700 rig over to macforums, but ill leave my others folding for Ocforums 32. I can't let down the Team32 For_Those_We_Lost subteam now. And we are number three....and I cannot stand having [H]ardOCP *pukes* being 2nd ugh.....

Anyways,
Watch out....here comes 2.45Ghz of pure 10 stage pipelined AMD powwa!

:D

OP
M

modenaf1

Oh BTW, I might add, since I kinda got you guys introduced to folding, what do you guys think of trying to tackle other iNET sites? Before we tried, but it did not go too well. Perhaps now we will be more successful if we join forces. Overclockers Forums, AND Mac Forums, both Inet sites that are folding.

To be honest with you guys, I think it is great that you started your own team, but I am desperatly trying to find forums that might want to fold as a subteam to OCforums. It would be the best if we had enough power to own [H]ardforums, but oh well...just as long as people fold..thats pretty much all that matters :) Good Luck and happy folding!

-f1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.