• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Join the Mac-Forums Folding Team!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my current folding setup on my Powermac Dual 2.7Ghz G5

folding setup.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Hey, just signed up! Great cause to work for.

Just a few questions:
1) I downloaded the text-console version and signed up for the team Murlyn posted on the 1st page; did I do this right?

2) I've heard some say that PowerBooks don't do well. How will mine do (specs under username)?

3) How do I check my progress?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don' know the text consol version, but I use to run it on only a powerbook aswell, it does not do that bad. Every little bit of processor power will help our team as a whole and the cause, I will have to say you don't have a chance at catching up to the leaders unles they stop folidng and you leave your computer on forever..but you will help us clmb the ranks as a team and you might be the computer that finds the cure for some desease.. soo good luck :)

we are doing well buliding this team.. getting the publicity out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
to_tough_to_die said:
Hey, just signed up! Great cause to work for.

Just a few questions:
1) I downloaded the text-console version and signed up for the team Murlyn posted on the 1st page; did I do this right?

2) I've heard some say that PowerBooks don't do well. How will mine do (specs under username)?

3) How do I check my progress?

i dont know much about the console version but i will suggest you download the program inCrease off of macupdate.com and then once you finish your current work unit(WU) delete your console version and then install increase.

this program allows you to very easily tweak a few settings and ensure you recieve good WU's for your book

note: dont just stop folding now and then installa nd get a new WU, stanford is expecting to recieve the results from you.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
ooooo....i just picked up 3 414 point gromacs running at 5.07PPH, 1200 points in 3 days, WOOT!!!!

oh yea, and im helping science ;)

now is a great time to start folding and pick up a lot of points in just a few days
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am very curious how my folding is going at home.. I am heading home tomorrow so I will check it out, I am excited because I am on the way up :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am having a problem with increase

When I want to see how many points a particula wu is going to get me there is a -- in the place where points should be in 6 of the 8.. does this mean I am not getting any points or that increase does not know how many points the wu is worth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so I was playing around with ideas to get people interested in folding at home I think we should do a badge that would show the ranking.. It should not replace the current badge it the person is not a regular member but add another one.. for example.. if there is a member the badge will replace it, but if the person was mf-motm or a moderator that person would have the badge added not replacing their current badge. (one badge right under the other one) I was fooling around with ideas for this and I have created a badge idea for the person in first place.. there should be a badge for everybody 1-10 so that it would spread awareness.

View attachment member_badge.psd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
looks good...maybe it could promote it more....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
PowerBookG4 said:
I am having a problem with increase

When I want to see how many points a particula wu is going to get me there is a -- in the place where points should be in 6 of the 8.. does this mean I am not getting any points or that increase does not know how many points the wu is worth.

okay, under some menu in increase you will see an option stating something like 'update q menu' or qd or something like that, then everything will be updated soon enough in regards to points etc....

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
PowerBookG4 said:
Ok so I was playing around with ideas to get people interested in folding at home I think we should do a badge that would show the ranking.. It should not replace the current badge it the person is not a regular member but add another one.. for example.. if there is a member the badge will replace it, but if the person was mf-motm or a moderator that person would have the badge added not replacing their current badge. (one badge right under the other one) I was fooling around with ideas for this and I have created a badge idea for the person in first place.. there should be a badge for everybody 1-10 so that it would spread awareness.

i like it...maybe because our forums main theme is red and white we can have it fade from a white or grey to red with black or red text
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Hmm, for some reason I had the console version and thought I had been folding for a long time but apparently not :eek:neye:

Forgot to set up the ole' PC to run it as well since the last wipe & reinstall. Anyone know how to set up the FAH client to run as a service automatically on a Win2000 box?

I'm using the graphical version on my iMac now since the other version wasn't working...been to busy to really take notice, but I'm back in now! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
welcome back.

on the win2000 box. I believe if you just set it as one of your start-up items it will work just fine. I forget how to do this since I have not been on a windows machine in a really long time since there is no need for me to use one.. the exact reason why i am going to pick up a really really cheap computer with windows on it so i can get back on my game, lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
That is a good idea, I like it.. Ill talk to the other mods and see what they think. Yeah h0tk4rl has been doing awesome :) I was #1, not anymore.. been quite awhle since i've been first :)

What have the mods come to.. did you agree that it is a good idea or is it not going to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THRE HAVE BEEN A LOT OF NEW MEMBERS TO THE FORUMS SINCE THIS THREAD HAS STARTED
I am bumping this thread to cause attention to the fact that we have a folding team for all people who are new the the forums. If you have any questions on folding you can ask them here. You can also pm me or coach_z or murlyn as we seam to be the most active people on the forums who are very much involved in folding.

Don't forget to read through this thread there is a great deal of information and links to other client to improve performance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
YES! feel more than free to get in touch with me at any time with questions comments hate mail etc...!

i have found a way to fold even faster on my dual 2.7 powermac!!! instead of folding 4 units at a time in increase like i have been doing for the past few months, i dropped that number down to three and my points per hour have gone up by about 3!

how this works. if you were to run only one unit it would run through your first processor and then move to your second and back and forth. two units will do the same thing but there will be some non used cpu time. by adding the third unit i have found that both of my processors are running at about 80-90% load at all times

now i do not know about doing this with the quads but maybe powerbookg4 can eventually test this out on his powermac by running 5 and then 3 units.

note: DO NOT JUST STOP AND THEN DELETE YOUR WORK UNITS IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE AMMOUNT OF WU'S BEING RAN. STANFORD IS EXPECTING TO RECIEVE YOUR RESULTS AND EVERY INCOMPLETE WORK UNIT SETS BACK THEIR PROJECT!

sorry for yelling. i will post later today on how to cut back on your work units.

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Starting and Stopping Work Units using inCrease

Once stanford sends you a work unit they expect you to work on it and then recieve it within a certain timeframe. Because of this you should not delete or simply stop working on units because you want to change your PPH or whatever reason you have.

To stop active work units:
1) in the InCrease Prefs check the -oneunit Flag and then hit Close
2) wait until CPU4 or CPU5's WU finishes a Checkpoint so you don't loose much folding on it (checkpoints happen about every 15 minutes)
3) Highlight a WU and Hit Stop , wait like 15 seconds and then hit Start
( that WU will then stop when it finishes and sends back the info )
4) repeat step 3 for the each WU you want to end
5) open preferences again and then uncheck the -oneunit Flag and then hit Close

once the WU's have finished and sent , they will say 100% and still be listed, so:
drag the CPU4 and CPU5 folder (located in your username\library\increase) do your desktop so they will not show up forever in the InCrease window

change InCrease's prefs From Use CPU Count of (what ever it was) to Use CPU Count of (how many units you are now folding) and you are done !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
YES! feel more than free to get in touch with me at any time with questions comments hate mail etc...!

i have found a way to fold even faster on my dual 2.7 powermac!!! instead of folding 4 units at a time in increase like i have been doing for the past few months, i dropped that number down to three and my points per hour have gone up by about 3!

how this works. if you were to run only one unit it would run through your first processor and then move to your second and back and forth. two units will do the same thing but there will be some non used cpu time. by adding the third unit i have found that both of my processors are running at about 80-90% load at all times

now i do not know about doing this with the quads but maybe powerbookg4 can eventually test this out on his powermac by running 5 and then 3 units.

note: DO NOT JUST STOP AND THEN DELETE YOUR WORK UNITS IN ORDER TO CHANGE THE AMMOUNT OF WU'S BEING RAN. STANFORD IS EXPECTING TO RECIEVE YOUR RESULTS AND EVERY INCOMPLETE WORK UNIT SETS BACK THEIR PROJECT!

sorry for yelling. i will post later today on how to cut back on your work units.

-chris

I am running 8 cores, and all 4 of my proccessors at running at 100% so I don't understand what you want me to do.. explain and I shall test it for you...

on a side note.. I OVER TOOK MURLYN TODAY.. I AM COMING FOR YOU COACH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
PowerBookG4 said:
I am running 8 cores, and all 4 of my proccessors at running at 100% so I don't understand what you want me to do.. explain and I shall test it for you...

on a side note.. I OVER TOOK MURLYN TODAY.. I AM COMING FOR YOU COACH

As soon as my RAM comes in the mail for my dual proccessor server I will start folding,

Just wait till I get my powermac 2.3 hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know.. I am moving pretty fast. I was in 30th place back in january.. now I am in 5th. I would say thats a pretty fast increase ;).. I am actually thinking about buying another computer just for this cause, I see it is very important research, not only a really fun competition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.