primary screen / monitor selection

Reaction score
I've got a powerbook 17 inch and the screen is cracked badly enough so I can't read anything on it or navigate to anything e.g. system preferences. I bought a LCD monitor as its a powerbook and will probably replace soon.

I connected the monitor using the DVI cable, but when switching on the powerbook, it automatically treats the new monitor as a secondary monitor, e.g. when you work with 2 monitors, you can drag items from one monitor to another. This means I can't actually see anything except my desktop wallpaper on the new monitor. If I try shortcut keys, it opens everything on the powerbook monitor which is cracked.

How can I get the powerbook to recognise the new monitor as the primary monitor? I can't see whats happening on the powerbook screen because its cracked, so will need shortcuts.

Help :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Its ok - found it. Pressing the command key and all the F1 - F12 keys ... the Cmd + F7 seems to refresh the display and just picked up the new monitor as primary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.