burn an iso

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz intel c2d, 2gb ram, xp and os x.6
I downloaded a linux os this morning and tried to burn it to a cd but the iso is 700.25 meg. I would put it on a dvd, but the computer I'm installing it is old (hence a lightweight linux) and can't read dvd. I've looked through the iso and there's some documentation I could cut to make it fit, but it won't allow me access to delete anything. what can I do?

I'm certain trying to copy and paste all the files I want won't work, b/c I won't be able to get all the hidden files and I need it to run it as bootable. All I can think of is that there must be some utility I can use to extract the iso to a directory on my HD and then recreate a new iso with what I want.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2Ghz iMac w/ glossy screen
have you tried MagicISO?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Which Linux is it? Which distro? I just grabbed the latest version of Ubuntu for PC Hardware on my iMac. Dropped the ISO into Toast and put in a blank and clicked burn.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
magicISO? I'll try that thanks laguano

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been trying just about every distro my pc can run from the ultralight puppy linux, **** small, etc. to some others like xubuntu, kateos, sam, even fedora 6. dream linux 2.2 is the 700.25mb one I wanted to try.

my problem is I don't have much experience with linux (as a kid I took my dads computer reformatted the hard drive and installed redhat... he was ****** and that's about the extent of it), and I'm trying to find something that'll work well on an old laptop. I'd like to use for my office at work, and my school won't provide me w/ anything. if you have any suggestions

I have intel celeron laptop 192mb ram 30gb HD. don't remember the processor speed 350mhz or so

I think I'll need something with the xfce desktop environment although I didn't even have enough ram to install xubuntu from the live cd so I don't have much choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.